Heat beads good or bad?

Feel free to ask any questions, one of the experts will certainly respond, don't be afraid to ask anything, we were all beginners at some point.

Heat beads good or bad?

Postby ollie » 08 Feb 2010, 20:15

Hi, I have 6 bags of heat beads are they ok to smoke with as charcoal? Any taste or smell residue? I have BBq'd with them on my Cobb but not smoked.

Ian
ollie
Still Raw Inside
Still Raw Inside

Re: Heat beads good or bad?

Postby Steve » 08 Feb 2010, 20:19

Never used them myself but I seem to remember Adie raving about how good they are.
Steve
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby British BBQ Society » 09 Feb 2010, 11:32

Heat beads are a great product, they burn hot and long. I have a meeting with their rep on the 25th Feb to try and secure sponsorship from them this season, it has always been my preference.
Toby
British BBQ Society
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby All Weather Griller » 09 Feb 2010, 19:16

Heat beads are fine for smoking, avoid the minion method where possible as you are likely to get some unsavoury tastes from that but I really do rate them.

Beerz

Adie
All Weather Griller

Postby British Bulldog BBQ » 09 Feb 2010, 20:27

All Weather Griller wrote:avoid the minion method

I think you could have just left it like that!
British Bulldog BBQ
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby Steve » 09 Feb 2010, 22:52

Minion Hater! :lol:
Steve
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Swindon_Ed » 14 Aug 2010, 20:14

there are a couple of mentions against the minion method in the post, i'm using a weber smokey mountain and have thought this was the best way. is there another way that i should be using?
Swindon_Ed

Postby All Weather Griller » 14 Aug 2010, 20:58

In my opinion Minion is ok but with lump - Restaurant or otherwise. That said in answer to the original post Heatbeads are very good! I wouldn't minion any briquette... HeatBeads, kingsford or weber... Just my preference.

Cheers

Adie
All Weather Griller

Postby stickthekettleon » 14 Aug 2010, 22:30

Love heatbeads, my fuel of preferance, failing that weber ones will do. Anything from a forecourt or says 'instant lighting' on the front is not worth bothering with. Some of the guys on here really rate charcoal - I for one can't stand the stuff, restaurant grade or otherwise.
While I'm on a moan....... Minion method gives a bad taste to the food, some say it doesn't......It does.
Don't like the clay saucer method either. Again, one or two on here swear by it but I can't get it to work, it leaves my food dry, my temp is always too high and I don't get decent smoke rings.
Oh well, horses for courses eh. ;)
stickthekettleon
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby Steve » 15 Aug 2010, 00:41

stickthekettleon wrote: Minion method gives a bad taste to the food, some say it doesn't......It does.

Wrong.

Maybe if you use briquettes, as the additives in all briquettes cause them to stink a bit when lighting. However if you're using lump wood charcoal and you ensure you've choked your fire properly before you put your food on, minion burns do not taint the flavour of the food.
Steve
Site Admin
Site Admin

Next

Return to New To BBQ/Smoking - Help & Advice