Little bit of advice please....

Feel free to ask any questions, one of the experts will certainly respond, don't be afraid to ask anything, we were all beginners at some point.

Re: Little bit of advice please....

Postby gazz_46 » 16 May 2012, 12:57

Bw

The guys here are all vastly experienced and helpful highlighting the pro's and con's of their equipment good bad or ugly and you could do worse than listen to them to help you make an informed decision....but the decision will still have to be yours...the Pro-Q Versus WSM debate rages on. Both are attainable real world kit that work straight from the box but from what i have read are made even better by modification, but again what mod's you make seem largely to revolve around your particular use of the product.

There don't seem to be any clear cut all encompassing answers....Can't offer any better advice than to research what it is you wish to do, then learn as much as you can on how to do it and finally then commit to a purchase.

This is the exact process i am working thru at the moment and having a lot of fun along the way with the help of this forum. I am fortunate in that i already own a kettle bbq, have done for a while but only just got into smokin. I have made minor mods to it so far but both my technique and the bbq get modified further each time i cook.

On sunday i completed my 3rd smoke..yep still raw inside..(me not the meat!) duck being my weapon of choice this time. Managed a 5hr 250 - 270 degree burn with a 30 min 350+ crisping to finish...duck was free range and unadulterated (no rubs,marinades) and came out both crisp and juicey, the meat just fell off the bone and went straight into pancakes with hoi sin sauce.......hhhmmmmm

It can be done but i suspect theres a lot more art in it than just equipment.......

gazz_46
Twisted Firestarter
Twisted Firestarter

Postby betawax » 18 May 2012, 09:47

wow - that duck photo did it for me!

I'm drooling.

So weber one touch premium purchased and arriving this coming tuesday. Which is a work at home day for me - so will be sure to get some ribs on the go.

Thanks again for the help and advice. Will post a photo next week :)

bw
betawax
Still Raw Inside
Still Raw Inside

Postby essarem » 18 May 2012, 11:20

Very interesting thread as I'm wondering what piece of kit to supplement my OutdoorChef gas Ascona with.

I'm not intending to get into cometitions - yet ;) - and will mainly just be cooking for 2 - 8 people, say.

Am I right in thinking that although a Weber OTP can be used for smoking that if I want to do long low temperature smoking - say 12 - 16 hours - that a ProQ or a WSM is the way to go?
essarem
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby Steve » 18 May 2012, 11:46

Yes :)
Steve
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby essarem » 18 May 2012, 16:24

Thanks. :)