Second go at brisket

Feel free to ask any questions, one of the experts will certainly respond, don't be afraid to ask anything, we were all beginners at some point.

Second go at brisket

Postby stretchie_ » 21 Jul 2014, 09:31

I got a smoke on this weekend, someone at work is throwing a surprise 40th for his mrs this weekend and asked me to make a **** load of Mac N Cheese and Bonfire beans for it, so I got a couple of small shoulders (just under 3kg each) on the smoker on Friday night (which was fun stood tending to a metal tube in the open while the lightning was going off), followed by...... a 3kg hunk o brisket on Saturday morning :o (I love my butcher)

Slab o meat

Trimmed (will trim more on the next one) and with a simple rub of salt and pepper, two parts pepper to one part salt

Smoked it for a few hours till it got to about 70c the foiled wrapped and back on until 84c, I might leave it longer next time, the probe didn't go in as easily as suggested in other posts but I didn't really have to push it in either, I'm sure this will come with experience. I still need to experiment but it wasn't dry, and we cut it in strips a couple mm thick across the grain and it was GUD. We put all the juice from the foil in a container for use later.

Sandwich it up beyotch. Nice sub roll, a spread of blue cheese cream, sliced brisket, salsa then lettuce, and in the tub to the side is some of the sauce we got from the brisket and dipped the sandwich into it.. H.E.A.V.E.N.

OI FLIPPIN' LOVES IT
stretchie_
Twisted Firestarter
Twisted Firestarter

Re: Second go at brisket

Postby YetiDave » 21 Jul 2014, 10:21

That looks awesome man, I still need to give brisket a try, but I can't get my head around paying £6+ per kilo for it :lol: did you cook the mac and cheese and beans in the smoker too?
YetiDave
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby JEC » 21 Jul 2014, 11:20

Nice
JEC

Postby stretchie_ » 21 Jul 2014, 13:57

It's cheap per kilo but you buy a big chunk at once which is one reason I've not really done it. The other is that the only brisket I could find was boned and rolled and not very thick.

The butcher where we just moved to is a dude and only too happy to have a chat and get half a cow out at a time to ask what I want.

The Mac N Cheese and the Bonfire beans were done on the hob I'm afraid but I do put pulled pork in the beans (as well as bacon or panchetta lardons) :) , but it's a tiny kitchen and tiny weeney little electric hob which presented me with problems as I can only just squeeze two normal sized pots or pans on at once. The bonfire beans are done in one pot so that was alright but the mac n cheese I need one pot for the sauce and one for the pasta and normal sized pots are not big enough for a big batch, I started off with 1.5kg of raw pasta so that had to go on the BBQ to cook while I used the hob for the sauce

stretchie_
Twisted Firestarter
Twisted Firestarter

Postby YetiDave » 21 Jul 2014, 14:05

Yeah, if I was gonna cook a brisket I'd want a full one (or at least whole flat or point) :D I'm saving that cook for a special occasion, and not just "It's a nice day so beer and BBQ"

Good choice on the PP in the beans! I've only recently started doing BBQ beans and I love 'em. I totally cheat and use pimped up Heinz beans, but you can't tell after they've been sitting in smoke for a couple of hours :D add to them some molasses, bacon, onion, BBQ sauce and a teaspoon or two of rub.. yum!
YetiDave
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby stretchie_ » 21 Jul 2014, 15:07

Yeah loving this decent chunk of brisket, £20 for 3kg, definitley getting a few more off him and having a practice pulling them off at different temps to find what works for me, and also just leaving one until the probe just slides in (oo-er) regardless of temp.

Yeah we LOVE the beans
stretchie_
Twisted Firestarter
Twisted Firestarter

Postby Verminskti » 21 Jul 2014, 16:00

I pay £4.50 per kilo for brisket. Sounds like I get a bargain?
Verminskti
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby YetiDave » 21 Jul 2014, 17:44

£4.50 a kilo? :shock: I thought the butcher I went to was cheap! (Everything apart from the brisket, that is)
YetiDave
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby Herbiefish » 21 Jul 2014, 18:51

Verminskti wrote:I pay £4.50 per kilo for brisket. Sounds like I get a bargain?
please say you live near sevenoaks!?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Herbiefish
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby Verminskti » 22 Jul 2014, 04:17

Sorry. Reading!
Verminskti
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Next