Smoking Woods Reference Table

Feel free to ask any questions, one of the experts will certainly respond, don't be afraid to ask anything, we were all beginners at some point.

Re: Smoking Woods Reference Table

Postby KamadoSimon » 26 Apr 2013, 15:33

Has anyone tried or can anyone say 'no' to using Blackthorn wood for food smoking? I have a source of this wood but can't find a reference to it being used for food smoking anywhere.....

Cheers,

Simon
KamadoSimon
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby Bacon John » 07 May 2013, 22:49

Great list of woods, when using fresh woods how long before you can use them, do you wait till there dry
Bacon John
Still Raw Inside
Still Raw Inside

Postby keith157 » 08 May 2013, 04:35

It is best to let as much of the sappy moisture to dry out. As to how long that depends on how you store it. Simon dries his own so he is probably your best bet for help.
keith157

Postby NeilH » 10 May 2013, 18:19

Every year I cut my fig trees back. I store the cuttings and dry them, then use them for smoking

The fig wood has a very sweet flavour and it tastes fantastic with chicken. It smells really good while it's smoking too.

Neil
NeilH
Still Raw Inside
Still Raw Inside

Postby keith157 » 11 May 2013, 04:56

I like figs I does.........must try that sometime :)
keith157

Postby Gary Morris » 13 Jun 2013, 13:58

I do a bit of wood turning and know that certain types of woods contain toxins and such like.
I have no clue if the toxins are carried on through smoking, but I was mainly thinking about how many of us make our own dust or chips.
I will always check this thread for woods that are not good for smoking and a quick googal search too. I think useing a mask, when I eventually get round to making home made Dust and Chips is a Must.

On a seperate but similar note are tea leaves and or coffee grounds any good for smoking (flavour poss?)

Gary
Gary Morris
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby MilesReeder » 20 Jun 2013, 12:17

Hi,

I didn't want to start a new thread - this one is really helpful by the way – but does anyone smoke with anything else?

Gary has mentioned tea leaves above and I have previously smoked some chocolate over Cinnamon bark which was really nice. I have seen a recipe for cigar smoked chocolate too!!!

What about fruit stones? Peach wood is an American classic but not easy to get here. What if I saved up a load of peach stones and smoked over those? Harking back to Gary above again, I am aware that there is some cyanide in these pips but would this transfer via smoke? Pecan shells are another classic so what about pistachio shells, I’m always annoyed with the waste on these tasty nuts. Then you have Coconut shells or even sunflower seeds?????

I’ve also thought about dried fruits – lemon skins for example with all their essential oils

And of course dried woody herbs…..

Wood is good but what else can you use?

Looking at that I am happy to start a new thread if this is going too far off topic, please let me know

Thanks

Miles
MilesReeder
Still Raw Inside
Still Raw Inside

Postby keith157 » 20 Jun 2013, 12:38

Doubtless there are articles online, and on Triple D a guy was using buckets of pecan shells but he had them from his bar. Herbs I've iused but only for light smoking on the kettle. You can smoke with most things as most things catch fire ;) . As to whether they would a) work and transmit a recognisable flavour or b) be anywhere near cost effective is beyond my knowledge.
I suspect the reasons anything other than woods & I include vine branches etc. would be the cost and availability the two do sit hand in glove. They may be available but cost far too much for most people.
keith157

Postby derekmiller » 12 Sep 2013, 09:27

Hi.
I have just found a free source of wood shavings for smoking.
Its a mixture of Oak (ok), Walnut (may be a bit strong, not sure of the mix ratio) and Tulipwood (?).

Has anyone had any experience of smoking with Tulipwood?
Thanks

Derek.
derekmiller
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby gaz1210 » 25 Sep 2013, 09:12

what a great thread! ive tried all sorts of different woods, this guy works wth me and has been supplying the local market for a while and now has a website so i said i would drop a link on here as he has looked after me in the past http://kgsawf.wix.com/wood-smoker
he has lots of different types of wood. me and my girlfriend try allsorts :D
gaz1210
Still Raw Inside
Still Raw Inside

PreviousNext

Return to New To BBQ/Smoking - Help & Advice