All purpose grill

Feel free to ask any questions, one of the experts will certainly respond, don't be afraid to ask anything, we were all beginners at some point.

All purpose grill

Postby rogertb » 25 Feb 2017, 12:57

Not sure if this is possible but I've had very little bbq experience and almost went off the idea after getting a cheapish b&q gas one that was very wobbly and rusted after one season - I also found it difficult to control the temperature and cooking was quite uneven. So I'm thinking of spending more money for a better experience, the Kamado things look pretty impressive (but expensive) ... this is cheaper, stainless, compact and cooks pizza:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Super-Grills- ... 1972605959

... then I came across this one:

https://billyoh.com/outback-meteor-hood ... s-barbecue

... then my wife saw these:

https://www.greenfingers.com/product.as ... AqH58P8HAQ

It's all getting very confusing and if there are any enthusiastic people on the forum that can give me some guidance I'd be very grateful.

Roger
rogertb
Still Raw Inside
Still Raw Inside

Re: All purpose grill

Postby Tiny » 01 Mar 2017, 17:51

Hi Roger, Forums a bit quiet at the moment but I will try and answer an eternal question......

First question
Grilling or slow smoking?

2nd Question
Charcoal gas or something different?

Third question
Sorry to sully this with pricetaggery, budget?

The following opinions are my own, I am not a competition BBQist but have been at it for a fair old while so take this at face value and then have a mooch around for other opinions.....

Just buy one.....
The Weber 57cm kettle. Eeveryone will own one, I was very anti Weber as they are so pricey but I got drunk and ordered one at the end of the season. When Mrs Tiny insisted 9 BBQs were too many this one I insisted on keeping.

You can grill on it, look on you tube for videos, you can roast a whole chicken on it and start on the cooking large chunks of meat. They are bullet proof and last forever so I would herartily reccoment It will cost you about £150 but will last forever.

I want charcoal and versatility
Then an egg, monolith or Komado, bloody expensive but work fantastically and will of course last you an eternity. They are proper expensive though and using any charcoal BBQ does involve the investment of time

I want to smoke and slow cook meats.
On a budget? Make an ugly drum smoker for under £100, it will do lovely for you, some say they work better than there pricier branded competition but they are ugly so you might not get this approach approved.

If you have more loot and want something more aesthetically pleasing look for Bristol Drum Smokers, Weber smokey mountain or ProQ Excel. Which is best? No one knows, like asking which are prettier blondes, brunettes or redheads, there is no right answer, all a matter of taste.

The convenience of gas
Would recommend buying a hooded barbecue as these can be used for conventional grilling or offset smoking. For the latter large chunk of meat goes up on the warming rack and one burner is turned on often with a tray of wood chips over it to produce more smoke.

Weber and Napolean are excellent but both are pretty pricey, but if you go too cheap as you have found to your cost they will disintegrate. I owned several outback gas BBQs and would recommend them as a more budget friendly alternative.

Don’t touch
Anything cheap, especially cheap offset smokers. They will look great but will be made of thin steel, rust like a bastard and you will have a nightmare on them and give the game up for good.

Something different
A pellet smoker, these are electrically started and then burn special wood pellets to either slow smoke or grill your food. I am a huge fan and own a Green Mountain Grill Daniel boon. These are not cheap but I love mine, use it 2-5 times a week in the warmer months and still fire it up during winter, cooked the Christmas Turkey on mine. You can look at other models like treacher but I am a huge GMG fan.

There are of course excellent US imports if your budget runs to £000s but for the sake of this I have excluded these as I have no experience of them.

Hopefully this helps, I would always recommend a Weber kettle as I don’t know anyone who has had a bad experience with one, after that it really is up to you, happy cooking chum.
Cheers
Tiny
Tiny
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby rogertb » 02 Mar 2017, 07:56

Well b*&^er me Tiny, what an excellent response I am very impressed thank you. Things have moved on a little mainly because the person that controls the purse strings punches harder than I do and has made me look at the situation more thoughtfully (well look as well as I can through half closed eyes). She reminded me of, yes, the cheap rubbish we have bought before so budget is up-to £600. We don't need big (2 of us and the family, an extra 4, now and then). Gas as I was reminded of the tantrums I displayed at the mess I made with charcoal. Probably grilling, a few burgers and the usual stuff but I do Like the idea of rotisserie chicken or a lump of lamb. The pizza idea is also of interest, I think the grandkids will find it amusing, picking off the charred black bits from the crust and feeding them to the dog.

So we have been to look at a Weber E210 (not sure classic or original) it seems pretty substantial, good build, guarantee etc., add a rotisserie:

https://www.ukfinefoods.co.uk/products/ ... t-electric

... plus a cover and whatever gas it takes probably uses up most of the budget with a few pennies left for a beer.
rogertb
Still Raw Inside
Still Raw Inside

Postby BraaiMeesterWannabe » 08 Apr 2017, 21:19

I agree with everything that Tiny said 100%

Weber is great quality and I'm sure you'll get a good gas one for your budget.

I have a Weber that has lived outside for 15 years. I replace the grill every couple of years but apart from that it's completely original.
BraaiMeesterWannabe
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby snollygoster » 19 Sep 2017, 12:40

Hi guys! Im a newbie on this forum.
I love cooking but I not an expert for bbqs. so I joined this forum. It seems its been silent for a while. but I'm getting tips by reading previous conversation. I got Green Mountain Grills Daniel Boone. I havent tried it yet.

Im also looking for recipes from you guys. I just cant find the thread.
snollygoster
Still Raw Inside
Still Raw Inside

Return to New To BBQ/Smoking - Help & Advice