Looking for a Kamado bbq

Feel free to ask any questions, one of the experts will certainly respond, don't be afraid to ask anything, we were all beginners at some point.

Looking for a Kamado bbq

Postby Bevo » 08 May 2017, 16:12

Hi all,
I'm new to the forum but not new to bbqing. I've had a proQ frontier for the last three years and have had some good success at smoking and grilling.
However, for the last year I've been looking to upgrade to a kamado style bbq. I love the look of the Big Green Eggs and Kamado Joe's but they are very expensive. The new 2017 Joe's seem to be the same price as a BBG!

On my google travels I've come across a British Kamado supplier called Quinta Kamado. I believe they are built in China (as it seems most kamados are) and shipped over.

Just wondering if any of you kind forum users know anything about Quinta Kamado or have one? It's very hard to find any reviews of their larger sized grills.
I've been looking at their extra large 25'' kamado. Comes with loads of accessories and a divide and conquer system (similar to the Joe). It's fairly reasonable at £950.

Regards
Bevo
Bevo
Still Raw Inside
Still Raw Inside

Re: Looking for a Kamado bbq

Postby TakingtheBrisket » 13 May 2017, 12:37

I haven't but the guy lives just outside Wrexham, maybe if you not to far away arrange to meet up with him?
TakingtheBrisket
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby cryo » 14 May 2017, 02:34

I noticed that Costco are selling a similar large sized Kamodo for approximately £450 when I looked in on Thursday. It looked like the very same design probably a 23 or 25 inch size.

Ken.
cryo
Still Raw Inside
Still Raw Inside

Postby KrisAblett » 14 May 2017, 07:07

Hi,

I bought the costco Kamado

It's branded Pitboss, found more reviews looking for it that way

I'm really happy with it, for a slow and low it'll hold 8 hours with no intervention (probably longer when I have a bit more practice)

It is really solidly built, heat deflector, top vent (a little stiff) bottom vent (a little loose)and grills all great quality.

Only thing it's missing in my opinion is the "divide and conquer" system - that would be great
KrisAblett
Still Raw Inside
Still Raw Inside

Postby Bevo » 15 May 2017, 18:24

Thanks for your replies, guys.
I've been thinking about going to see the supplier but I live in South London so it's a bit of a trek. Think I'll give him a call and take it from there.
That Costco Kamado sounds like it's worth a look. Looking on their website it looks like it's a Pit Boss. I have a Costco near me so I'll pop down when I can.
I'm really keen on having one of the divide and conquer systems though. I love to cook reverse sear steaks and like the idea of having different heat zones.
Have a feeling I'll end up going with last years Kamado Joe Classic. Seen some good prices on the old model. Saw a Big Joe for the first time yesterday and couldn't believe the size of it! Way too big for me, the wife and dog! :D

Cheers
Bevo
Still Raw Inside
Still Raw Inside

Postby Leodensian » 16 May 2017, 13:01

The guy at Quinta is very helpful. Not bought the Kamado from him but have had some accessories. My sister owns the 24" Pit Boss from Costco which she bought at the end of their season for £200. She must use it at least 3 times a week and absolutely loves it. Also if you're interested there's a guy on the BBBQ Society Facebook group selling a couple of Kamado Joe Big Joes including the new frame and hinge assembly and other bits for £800 each which considering they are nearly £1500 each is a bargain.
Leodensian
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby Tabman111 » 17 May 2017, 11:57

:)
Bevo wrote:Hi all,
I'm new to the forum but not new to bbqing. I've had a proQ frontier for the last three years and have had some good success at smoking and grilling.
However, for the last year I've been looking to upgrade to a kamado style bbq. I love the look of the Big Green Eggs and Kamado Joe's but they are very expensive. The new 2017 Joe's seem to be the same price as a BBG!

On my google travels I've come across a British Kamado supplier called Quinta Kamado. I believe they are built in China (as it seems most kamados are) and shipped over.

Just wondering if any of you kind forum users know anything about Quinta Kamado or have one? It's very hard to find any reviews of their larger sized grills.
I've been looking at their extra large 25'' kamado. Comes with loads of accessories and a divide and conquer system (similar to the Joe). It's fairly reasonable at £950.

Regards
Bevo

Hi Bevo I have just seen this post. I am James from Quinta Kamado we have three sizes with divide and conquer system. 21" 23" and 25". If you need anything or have any questions my number is on our website.

Regards

James.
Tabman111
Still Raw Inside
Still Raw Inside

Postby frankel » 05 Jun 2017, 14:38

Hi got a new one off ebay with a 31cm actual size circular grid for 175 ukp inc postage.
seems perfect if a bit shallow and was almost all assembled on arrival. Not used so yet maybe wont turn out quite right but impressed so far
frankel
Still Raw Inside
Still Raw Inside

Postby JEC » 27 Jun 2017, 18:53

Hi

For me it comes down to product support and quality, BGE and now Kamado Joe have been around for a long time, quality of the product is proven and known, especially for the Egg with its life time warranty etc... For me that the biggest win even with the price incentive, it's better to buy a slightly more expensive product and know that there is the support if you should require it. As an aside some of the larger grills seem to have quite a shallow dome, BGE updated their original design which was similar to overcome temperature issues, Kamado Joe's Big Joe came with the same style dome from conception. We aren't talking a Weber Kettle price vs. Landmann, any of these cookers at this price is a serious chunk of money

My opinion is based purely on experience with BGE and Kamado Joe, there is no intent to suggest that James is offering an inferior product. He may well be able to offer significant warranty, perhaps even outside of his own business
JEC

Return to New To BBQ/Smoking - Help & Advice