Charcoal Suggestions

Feel free to ask any questions, one of the experts will certainly respond, don't be afraid to ask anything, we were all beginners at some point.

Charcoal Suggestions

Postby bsnalex » 20 Jul 2017, 15:14

I've recently made the jump from gas to charcoal-- not so much out of necessity but out of cost (gas grill blew over in a windstorm last year and was destroyed-- just can't afford any decent one at the moment).

I went for one of those Jumbuck oil-drum style barbecues, without an offset smoker. Had some great success so far, especially on the grilling front. Not a huge amount of cooking space, but the burgers and lamb chops are coming off great. Tried my hand at smoking some baby back ribs a few nights ago, to some success, but again due to the cooking space I can only fit two baby back racks on.

My problem is I've been using Weber lumpwood. I'm not pleased with it. On the bag it says lights in 15 min, cooks for 60. I found it was taking around 25 to get the bottoms of the pieces at the top of the chimney lit (used two lighting cubes) and those pieces were never lighting on top. Also, the temperature on these lumps wasn't well-retained. I found I had to top it up after 45 minutes. Went through probably 4-5 kg of charcoal in 2 hours. I'm considering trying out the Big K briquettes next time. Are there any recommended brands to use? Don't mind briquettes or lumpwood. When I'm smoking I've got a collection of woods I throw in for flavour. Also I've seen at homebase those 15kg bags of fireplace fuel...they look like massive hockey pucks made of MDF. It says suitable for cooking on the bag, but something about processed fuel (yeah, yeah, briquettes are processed) doesn't seem right to use on food.
bsnalex
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Re: Charcoal Suggestions

Postby Jediboy » 20 Jul 2017, 23:39

I use, and like,Aussie heat beads. I find them easy to light, long burn time. Overall really happy.
Jediboy
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby UKEgger » 22 Jul 2017, 16:57

bsnalex wrote:I've recently made the jump from gas to charcoal-- not so much out of necessity but out of cost (gas grill blew over in a windstorm last year and was destroyed-- just can't afford any decent one at the moment).

I went for one of those Jumbuck oil-drum style barbecues, without an offset smoker. Had some great success so far, especially on the grilling front. Not a huge amount of cooking space, but the burgers and lamb chops are coming off great. Tried my hand at smoking some baby back ribs a few nights ago, to some success, but again due to the cooking space I can only fit two baby back racks on.

My problem is I've been using Weber lumpwood. I'm not pleased with it. On the bag it says lights in 15 min, cooks for 60. I found it was taking around 25 to get the bottoms of the pieces at the top of the chimney lit (used two lighting cubes) and those pieces were never lighting on top. Also, the temperature on these lumps wasn't well-retained. I found I had to top it up after 45 minutes. Went through probably 4-5 kg of charcoal in 2 hours. I'm considering trying out the Big K briquettes next time. Are there any recommended brands to use? Don't mind briquettes or lumpwood. When I'm smoking I've got a collection of woods I throw in for flavour. Also I've seen at homebase those 15kg bags of fireplace fuel...they look like massive hockey pucks made of MDF. It says suitable for cooking on the bag, but something about processed fuel (yeah, yeah, briquettes are processed) doesn't seem right to use on food.

I use Big K lump wood charcoal it's excellent great heat and burns for ages everyone I have recommended it to hasn't been disappointed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
UKEgger
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby bsnalex » 08 Aug 2017, 12:12

I've considered Big K. When I last went to the shop I picked up a bag of Bar-Be-Quick briquettes. They took forever and a half to get ashed-- around 35 minutes (that was one chimney with three petrol cubes and lighter fluid). Once they did though, the heat they generated was amazing. I was also impressed with the duration of the briquettes; I cooked at 6 pm and at 11:30 the original chimney was still hot enough to cook on.
bsnalex
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby Jediboy » 08 Aug 2017, 16:37

I've been using a bit of Big K lump wood charcoal too. Overall pleased. Easy to get going but I don't find it burns that long. Not as long as my heat bears burn.
Just my experiences recently.
Jediboy
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby kiriak » 27 Aug 2017, 22:48

Heat beads briquettes. Take a while to get going, but, burn really hot and last for ages. I used to swear by Weber, but, these are far superior. You only get what you pay for!
kiriak
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Return to New To BBQ/Smoking - Help & Advice