Gas question for first time bbq owner!

Feel free to ask any questions, one of the experts will certainly respond, don't be afraid to ask anything, we were all beginners at some point.

Gas question for first time bbq owner!

Postby DevonRob » 30 Jul 2017, 16:59

hello all

Newbie alert! :!:

a couple of questions from a person who has just brought a gas BBQ.

it is a 2 burner that requires propane

I was advised to go to my local recyling centre and pick up an empty calor bottle - to save the initial fee which i have done and i have got a 3.9Kg calor propane bottle.

The BBQ actually comes with a clip on red hosed regulator, whilst the 3.9kg bottle comes with a screw in fitting.

Is it therefore okay for me to buy a screw in regulator and change it over from the clip on one?

secondly looking in the manual of the BBQ it recommends having between an 11-15kg propane tank, is there a reason why my 3.9kg wont work? should i try and locate a bigger one? (i understand a 3.9kg bottle when full is about 10.5kg)

Many thanks in advance for the help!!
DevonRob
Still Raw Inside
Still Raw Inside

Re: Gas question for first time bbq owner!

Postby Hank » 04 Aug 2017, 17:58

It sounds like you have the red propane bottle instead of a propane patio gas bottle. The red bottles are more for industrial usage. See this link https://www.calor.co.uk/shop/gas-bottles.html
Hank
Still Raw Inside
Still Raw Inside

Re: Gas question for first time bbq owner!

Postby bsnalex » 08 Aug 2017, 12:18

You'd be hard pressed to find a screw-top regulator these days. The norm is clip-top, for safety reasons. I'm guessing the screw-top bottle was at the scrapyard because it's effectively obsolete...Why not just layout the initial bottle fee? I think it's around £30-£35 for the 13 or 15kg.
bsnalex
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Return to New To BBQ/Smoking - Help & Advice