Can't get above 200°

Feel free to ask any questions, one of the experts will certainly respond, don't be afraid to ask anything, we were all beginners at some point.

Can't get above 200°

Postby BenjaminCooks » 25 Mar 2018, 21:14

Hello!

Relatively new to smoking, so starting off with two racks full of wings. Got a ProQ Frontier Elite, filling the basket with restaurant quality charcoal and covering it with well lit briketts from a chimney starter. Vents open, water hot. Temp reaches around 250 so I slap the wings in, don't think I've seen it raise above 200 while the food has been in there, makes them never really reach temp so have had to finish them off on the grill/in the fryer, which I want to do anyway to crisp up the skin but don't want to do it for so long that it ruins the smoking process.

Any ideas? The fire I'm building is pretty hefty, so I'm really surprised its not getting there. Wanted to move onto ribs but if I can't get wings right...!
BenjaminCooks
Still Raw Inside
Still Raw Inside

Re: Can't get above 200°

Postby PhilInsane » 13 May 2018, 20:57

Funnily im having the exact same issue with my new PROQ frontier (ive only cooked on it once and it was blowing a cool wind so probably didnt help)

Its irritating considering i could hold 250 on my weber kettle

Anyone wanna chime in? ;)
PhilInsane
Still Raw Inside
Still Raw Inside

Return to New To BBQ/Smoking - Help & Advice