Smokenator and Small Butts

A place to discuss low 'n' slow cooking, ask questions and share advice.

Smokenator and Small Butts

Postby tired.banchini » 17 May 2011, 23:37

Hi All,

First post a newbie.... learning the trade...... hi to alll....

Itching to try my first pork butt in the next week or so...

First things first, I have a Weber kettle one-touch.... and bought the Smokenator and wondered if anyones used it and what their thoughts are ? It arrives in a few days.....

Second point is that I wondered if possible can one order smaller pork butts or cuts to avoid cooking for more than 6 hours or so.... the simple fact is I struggle to find the time to cook that long, but am aching to try it.......From reading various threads I come to the conclusion getting the basic cut can be difficult and to then ask for a smaller version might just be pushing it :-)

Appreciate any feedback....

Ta
TB
tired.banchini
Still Raw Inside
Still Raw Inside

Re: Smokenator and Small Butts

Postby Swindon_Ed » 18 May 2011, 05:42

Hello there,

I've had a Smokenator for a while now and i've found it quite good for cooking ribs and chicken, I must admit I've not tried to cook a pork butt on it as I find at the end of a rib cook the temps start needing quite a bit of management compared to one of my other smokers.

One thing to do when you get your Smokenator is ignore the part of the instructions where it says to use briquette and also how much wood to use. I'd suggest using natural lump wood charcoal and start off with a hand full or two of wood chips instead. I tried using briquette and the half a tree they recommended when I first got mine and it left a horrible taste on my food.

With ordering pork butt over here I ask my butchers for the collar and this is a great part for pulled pork. If you only want a small bit they should be able to cut a chunk off for you.

tired.banchini wrote:Second point is that I wondered if possible can one order smaller pork butts or cuts to avoid cooking for more than 6 hours or so....

Even a small piece of pork butt can take 10hrs cooking low and slow.

Ta
TB
Swindon_Ed

Re: Smokenator and Small Butts

Postby tired.banchini » 05 Jun 2011, 15:11

Just to follow up.....

I ended up trying a Pork Butt with indirect on Weber Kettle; it was a shoulder blade (6lb) to be more precise. Temp control was difficult to keep below 250.... It fluctuated between 240-280 but worked out okay, was a forgiving piece of meat. I was please with first results... but nonetheless was high maint.

Tried ribs on smokenator and I must admit as per instructions, it just did not work out.... I ended up having to assit it to get up to temp and this screwed everything up as it got to 290 and stuck there..... although it did hold that temp for a good 5 hours....

Next time I am going to try briqs using around 50/60 and use half and half minion method. Let you know who it works out...

I think the ambient temp in US were its tested is much higher and so results will differ to UK
tired.banchini
Still Raw Inside
Still Raw Inside

Return to Low 'n' Slow (Smoking)