Pork Butt on My ProQ Excel 20

A place to discuss low 'n' slow cooking, ask questions and share advice.

Pork Butt on My ProQ Excel 20

Postby Mike_P_in_Tucson » 18 Dec 2009, 12:25

We had visitors from out of town (Chicago) back in September, and they requested some of my pulled pork. They had visited last March, had some, and raved about it.

Got an 8 pound pork butt on sale for $1.45 per pound. I had wanted something a bit smaller so I wouldn't have to get up too early to start it (figuring 1 1/2 hours per pound), but they didn't have any smaller.

So, the evening before, I rubbed it (my own recipe rub), wrapped it and put it in the fridge.

In the morning, I woke before 5:00AM, went out and started 1/2 chimney of Kingsford Blue. Filled the charcoal basket all the way. By 5:30, the charcoal was lit and I scattered it over the unlit charcoal. At 5:50AM, the temperature was up to 200, so I half filled the water pan with hot water , put several mesquite pieces on the coals, put the meat on, and waited for sunrise (yawn).

The Excel 20 temerature rose nicely, and I shut the bottom vents halfway when it got to 240. It held very well between 230 and 250, and several times I added mesquite and oak, alternating. Six hours in, and everything looked good (grill temp on left, meat temp on right).

Since the meat was in the stall stage, I took this opportunity to spray it (and again every hour) with a mixture of half apple juice and half beer. I know it was not yet noon, but I couldn't let the rest of that beer go to waste.

After 6 1/2 hours the temperature started dropping. When it got down to about 210, I poured more charcoal (unlit) over the remaining coals and opened the bottom vents. The temperature rose steadily, and I closed the bottom vents completely when it got to 240. It held steady and after about 10 hours, the meat temperature began to rise.

At 4:00PM, I added a stacker and put sweet corn ( in the husk, soaked in water for 2 hours) on the top stacker. But I forgot to take a picture of the corn, so maybe it didn't really happen.

At 5:30PM, the meat hit 190, so I wrapped it in foild, put it back on and waited for the table to be set (we had sides of potato salad, cole slaw, and macaroni salad, as well as the corn).

At 6:15 PM all was ready, so I brought the meat in.

And pulled it and ate it, with the sweet corn and potato salad.

Mike_P_in_Tucson

Re: Pork Butt on My ProQ Excel 20

Postby British Bulldog BBQ » 19 Dec 2009, 12:46

Great post Mike, do you make your own rubs or Buy in? if you buy them what brands do you favour?
Cheers
Toby
British Bulldog BBQ
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby Mike_P_in_Tucson » 19 Dec 2009, 15:14

Hi Toby,

I make my own rub. I enjoy experimenting, plus I get more pleasure from "doing it myself".
Mike_P_in_Tucson

Postby Steve » 21 Dec 2009, 09:40

What about sauces?

I have to admit I'm a make it yourself guy for both rubs and sauces but I've learned from competing both here and at the Royal that it's a safer bet to use bought rubs and sauces.

I've currently got a stock of Head Country Championship Seasoning and a selection of Cow Town and Obie Cue's rubs. I'm trying to negotiate with a company who imports American foods to get me some Blues Hog sauce as well. It's such a pain living in the UK at times :cry:
Steve
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Mike_P_in_Tucson » 21 Dec 2009, 18:23

I don't use sauces much. On ribs, I just brush the rack lightly before wrapping in foil and let them set for about an hour. When I competed in chicken, i also just brushed lightly toward the end. I use a sweetened version of KC Masterpiece. On pulled pork, I use a bit of a vinegar-based sauce I picked up in North Carolina.

I must say, Head Country is about my favorite BBQ sauce.
Mike_P_in_Tucson

Postby walterbsc » 16 Mar 2010, 16:00

WOW nice looking pulled pork you have made makes me hungry. I like that mini smoker you have pictured. For myself and other Weber WSMS are the way to go for bakyard and competiton BBQ, I am a proud owner of 2 of the 18 1/2 " and 1 of the new 22 1/2" WSMS . I would not trade them for anything , I have found that it takes 12 hrs on the to make good puled pork and have yet to have a complaint. I usually use the Minion method for the coals and wood chuncks , and Kingsford Competiton charcole for the fire and heat, I usall try to keep the temps between 220 and 250. I have 2 of the chimmney starters for firing the coals , 15 mins and you are ready to rock , no more lighter fuel.
walterbsc
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby Mike_P_in_Tucson » 17 Mar 2010, 16:21

Hi there Walter,

That there isn't a "mini smoker", it is my ProQ Excel20, but with only one stacker. Here is my whole setup. Check the Excel 20 "Maxi-Smoker in the middle.

http://www.bbbqs.com/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=109

Very similar to a WSM, but more flexible, IMO. And, at 20 inches, close to the big WSM.

For the 8-pound butt, it actually took a bit over 12 hours. I always allow for 1 1/2 hours per pound. Like you, I use a chimney for starting the coals and also use the Minion method. For the pork butt, I used straight mesquite, but use other wood chunks for other meats.
Mike_P_in_Tucson

Postby walterbsc » 17 Mar 2010, 20:53

Mike_P_in_Tucson wrote:Hi there Walter,

That there isn't a "mini smoker", it is my ProQ Excel20, but with only one stacker. Here is my whole setup. Check the Excel 20 "Maxi-Smoker in the middle.

http://www.bbbqs.com/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=109

Very similar to a WSM, but more flexible, IMO. And, at 20 inches, close to the big WSM.

For the 8-pound butt, it actually took a bit over 12 hours. I always allow for 1 1/2 hours per pound. Like you, I use a chimney for starting the coals and also use the Minion method. For the pork butt, I used straight mesquite, but use other wood chunks for other meats.

WOW that`s a cool looking smoker , how many butts can you get on that thinga at a time???
walterbsc
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby Steve » 18 Mar 2010, 08:39

DrSweetsmoke wrote:
Steve wrote:What about sauces?

I have to admit I'm a make it yourself guy for both rubs and sauces but I've learned from competing both here and at the Royal that it's a safer bet to use bought rubs and sauces.

I've currently got a stock of Head Country Championship Seasoning and a selection of Cow Town and Obie Cue's rubs. I'm trying to negotiate with a company who imports American foods to get me some Blues Hog sauce as well. It's such a pain living in the UK at times :cry:

Not always true. I make my own sauces and have done OK with them. :)

Al, I agree that with time and effort spent experimenting you can come up with a winner but you just have to look at the fact that 90% of the top teams on the KCBS circuit are using products like Blue Hog, Plowboys, Butcher BBQ and Kosmo's, most will say let others do the experimenting and make the mistakes. There's a few like the Plow Boys who've come up with their own masterpiece but now they sell it.
Steve
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Mike_P_in_Tucson » 18 Mar 2010, 19:13

WOW that`s a cool looking smoker , how many butts can you get on that thinga at a time???

With all 3 stackers, could probably squeeze in 9 butts. But I like to provide plenty of air circulation around them , so I would probably only do 6.
Mike_P_in_Tucson

Next

Return to Low 'n' Slow (Smoking)