First attempt at a Smoked Brisket (Sunday Dinner)

A place to discuss low 'n' slow cooking, ask questions and share advice.

First attempt at a Smoked Brisket (Sunday Dinner)

Postby chokethechicken » 26 Sep 2011, 19:37

The cook took place a couple of weeks a go and I finally found the time to upload some pics and complete a write-up! :D Decided that I would cook it on a Sunday and serve it up part of a traditional smoked/roast dinner.

I bought the brisket from a farm butcher not too far away from me (thanks 'Bridget B's Butchery' team!).

Not sure about if the cut was correct but it turned out really nice in the end.

- Rubbed with French's mustard and seasoning and left on overnight in the fridge.

I was going by a cooking time of 1.5 hours per pound so calculated that it would be in the WSM for around 6 hours.

6 hours later..

Internal temp was up at 180F but an initial taster session of the meat saw that it hadn't quite reached that melt-in-the-mouth stage. (I have since read that many people recommend an internal temp of 190F plus.)
So I wrapped it tightly in some foil and it went back on there for another hour and then rested for 30 mins before I unwrapped and carved that mini beast.

Yum. The Texas Crutch method for the last hour really helped to break down the connective tissue and make it much more tender.

Plate it up.

Done.

Bonus meal for the next day..
Now and then I buy these awesome Japanese Ramen noodle kits from a Japanese supermarket near Piccadilly Circus. So I thought I would add some slices of the brisket in to the broth during the boiling process. Wow... smoked brisket Ramen! I shall definitely be making some more of this during the harsh winter months ahead. :D

..up next. Another batch of babyback racks to take to a friend's house warming party this Saturday.

Thanks to the previous posts on this forum - I would not have gathered the knowledge to cook this without them.
chokethechicken
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Return to Low 'n' Slow (Smoking)