Awesome pulled brisket chilli con carne!

A place to discuss low 'n' slow cooking, ask questions and share advice.

Awesome pulled brisket chilli con carne!

Postby crphillips » 05 Nov 2011, 23:58

Watched a Jamie Oliver program a couple of months back where he made pulled brisket chilli con carne and it looked great so I gave it a go the other day and it was stunning!

I added a little twist to it. It's not strictly something that was cooked entirely on my pellet grill but the smoking side of It was what made the dish special.

METHOD AND INGREDIENTS

Take approx 1.5kg of brisket. Place in smoker and smoke for 2-3 hours. Remove and score the meat around 1" deep. Take 1tbsp of ground cumin, oregano and smoked paprika, plenty of sea salt and black pepper. Pull cuts open and place spices into cuts. Any remaining spices scrape up and keep for later. Put a little oil in a pan and brown meat. Add meat to slow cooker along with 2 red and 2 orange peppers, 4 big mild chillies, 2 red onions, rest of spices, 2 tin chopped tomatoes, couple of bay leaves and tin of kidney beans. Leave in slow cooker overnight. DONE. Just before serving use two forks to pull the brisket, season to taste, add a little red wine vinegar and a good handful of fresh coriander.

I know it doesn't use the smoker much but the 2 hours of smoke the meat received really made the difference between the dish been good and great. Give it a try. Best chilli by a long way! Everyone loved it.
crphillips
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Return to Low 'n' Slow (Smoking)