Chicken Quaters and Ribs

A place to discuss low 'n' slow cooking, ask questions and share advice.

Chicken Quaters and Ribs

Postby Yeti » 07 Mar 2010, 20:54

Last week I managed to unpack the Excel20, put the thing together and fire it up!

Unfortunately it was raining, and while I put a temporary cover up over the BBQ, it wasn't ideal. The temps didn't quite get high enough (hovered around 95C), although the chicken was cooked through. I experimented with 4 different rubs. Shop bought tandoori rub. Carne asada rub bought in mexico (really meant for beef). A basic rub of salt, pepper, chili and garlic was the 3rd rub, and the last was a Kansas City style rub, I found on the web.

While the chicken didn't have a crispy skin, it was nice and succulent, and got the wife's seal of approval.

A couple of pics below.

Image Image Image

I had my second smoke today, and had a lot better results. Ribs, thighs, and legs were on today's menus. Temps were up constant at 105C, exactly what I wanted for the ribs. I used the 2.5-2-1 method, and they came out great! When foiling I used apple and ginger fruit juice, beer, and a dash of tapatio hot sauce. The last hour they were mopped with a home made BBQ sauce, I also added the chicken at this stage. After 30 minutes I removed the water pan, brought the temperature up, and finished off the chicken. The skin still wasn't crispy, but an improvement over last week. Unfortunately I only got ready to eat pics!

Image Image

Yeti
Yeti
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Re: Chicken Quaters and Ribs

Postby British BBQ Society » 08 Mar 2010, 14:18

That all looks great!
British BBQ Society
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to Low 'n' Slow (Smoking)