artificial enhancement of the smoke ring

A place to discuss low 'n' slow cooking, ask questions and share advice.

Re: artificial enhancement of the smoke ring

Postby Steve » 21 May 2010, 22:17

Al, sorry if my post sounded confrontational, wasn't meant that way as I totally respect your way of doing things. I wrote the post quickly between doing two tasks at work and didn't pay attention to the tone.

My thoughts on MSG are that it's a seasoning. It's an extraction of a chemical found in lots of natural seasonings used commonly (particularly in Asia). Just like we use spices, herbs and particularly salt, I don't see a problem with it. I wouldn't call it a way of getting an edge I would just call it another part of seasoning blend. If you overuse salt or cayenne or allspice or whatever it would ruin your food too. I wouldn't say my Q was missing something to warrant using it, to me that would be like saying I only need salt because I'm missing something.

I personally don't like the notion that MSG is bad. I would be willing to bet that if it was discovered in America or by a western salt corporation then it's perception would be totally different. It certainly doesn't have a bad rep in Japan where the food is ultra healthy (apart from the deep fried stuff).
Steve
Site Admin
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Low 'n' Slow (Smoking)