baby brisket

A place to discuss low 'n' slow cooking, ask questions and share advice.

baby brisket

Postby joker smoker » 21 May 2010, 10:24

I've been buying briskets in 25kg. boxes and they're usually 4 to the box averaging 6.5kg. each but the last box contained a little baby packer weighing in at just 3.3kg. It's beautifully proportioned but i've never seen or cooked one so small before. i injected, massaged and rubbed it up last night and now I'm about to throw it on the traeger. I'm a little worried because of the size but I'll let y'all know how it turns out tomorrow.
joker smoker
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Re: baby brisket

Postby Steve » 21 May 2010, 10:58

We did some practice a while back with the aim of testing several rubs. We bought some rolled briskets from Costco, unrolled them and then cut them in half. We seasoned each one differently and smoked them all.

We got the results we wanted in terms of being able to verify which seasonings worked best but we found the meat was a little dry which we attributed to the briskets being so small.

To be fair it did also allow us to test techniques for disaster recovery to see what we could do to make the brier brisket slices seem more moist :lol:
Steve
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby joker smoker » 21 May 2010, 11:14

yeah, ive cooked 3 kg. flats before but this is like a miniature packer with a decent sized point compared with the size of the flat. It doesnt have the flesh colour of veal though ...looks kinda cute
joker smoker
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby Steve » 21 May 2010, 12:15

You are one of the few people I know other than myself that would describe raw meat as "cute" :lol:
Steve
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby joker smoker » 21 May 2010, 13:18

oops...we'd better take more care... we might end up on some kind of register
joker smoker
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby British BBQ Society » 21 May 2010, 13:26

smoke it quick, foil it early, increase the temp for an hour and let it rest........ this was the only way i got the small briskets to stay moist.
British BBQ Society
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby joker smoker » 22 May 2010, 13:09

I cooked this brisket fat cap down at 220 until it reached 140 internal. I then flipped it and raised temp to275 and cooked to 157 internal. I then wrapped it with a cup of injection marinade and continued at 300 tip internal of 200. Results were frankly amazing. Tender, juicy, thick slices. Good smoke ring, no blemishes from injection and best of all very little shrinkage/ weight loss. Wish i'd taken photos. Maybe this never happened. There's very little evidence of any meat in the foil pan.
joker smoker
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Return to Low 'n' Slow (Smoking)