Smoked Eggs

A place to discuss low 'n' slow cooking, ask questions and share advice.

Smoked Eggs

Postby Riverrat » 13 Nov 2012, 00:00

Yup, Chicken eggs on the smoker, anyone else do them?? I do a few from time to time and as easy to do as it gets.

Ingredient - Egg, straight from the box (or chicken)

Method - Place in smoker

Smoke - Whatever you are using, that's Hickory for me.

Temp - Around the 225 mark is fine, do a few when you are doing ribs or pulled pork low and slow, over the 250 mark and they can crack and leak

Time - Two hours should do it,

Eat as a hard boiled egg (what do you expect)

Mine usually are a mild smokey flavour and wish it was a bit stronger but not bad for the effort it takes to cook them! Will add some photo's next time I do some.
Riverrat
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Re: Smoked Eggs

Postby derekmiller » 13 Nov 2012, 10:00

Doesnt the shell, keep most of the smoke out.
I havent tried it, but would cooking them first, removing the shell, then smoking, produce a stronger taste.
I love pickled eggs, so I was going to try smoked ones at some stage.
Derek.
derekmiller
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby keith157 » 13 Nov 2012, 11:18

The shell is surprisingly porous, if you were to keep a raw egg together with a half an onion it will pick up an onion flavour. What about cold smoking would that work???
keith157

Postby Riverrat » 13 Nov 2012, 15:03

Derek, I think I read that if you cook them first and then smoke the eggs they will go rubbery, got me thinking though - next time I do some I'm going to let them cook for an hour and then smack them with a hammer to crack the shell a little(!) and then let them finish off for the second hour. The thinking is that some extra smoke will be absorbed through the cracks - will try it and see. Smoked and pickled eggs sound soooo good!!!

Keith, I have not tried any cold smoking (yet), I can think of no reason for it not to work, I guess you would end up with a flavoured and still raw egg that you could cook any way you choose?
Riverrat
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby Jonty » 13 Nov 2012, 18:05

I cold smoke cooked and raw eggs and the results are very good. For cooked I just hard boil then peel and then smoke. For raw, just cold smoke in their shells, it is surprising how much smoke they take, it does add a certain something to a fried egg. I have a mate with a load of quail and I want to get some eggs from him, I reckon a black pudding & chorizo salad with a poached smoked quails egg on top would be a really good starter.
Jonty
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby keith157 » 13 Nov 2012, 18:47

Thanks Jonty, as to the quail sounds like a potential £25 starter at a *** establishment, wonder when we'll see it ;)
keith157

Postby Tiny » 13 Nov 2012, 19:27

Jonty, sounds top, can I suggest a subtle change for Quail read "Goose".......eggylicious!

Cheers for the supercure, piggy resting in it now.....

Cheers
Tiny
Tiny
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby derekmiller » 14 Nov 2012, 09:39

Riverrat, let us know how that goes. My missus thinks I am a nutter to smoke pickled eggs, but you have given me the drive to have a go now.
Jonty, now that sounds really good.
derekmiller
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Chris__M » 14 Nov 2012, 16:09

Different, but along similar lines. Amongst the things I cold-smoke regularly is butter, and one of my main uses for that is cooking scrambled eggs. So fresh eggs, beaten and cooked in melted smoked butter.

Tastes delicious.
Chris__M
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby Jonty » 14 Nov 2012, 20:09

Tiny wrote:Jonty, sounds top, can I suggest a subtle change for Quail read "Goose".......eggylicious!

Cheers for the supercure, piggy resting in it now.....

Cheers
Tiny

Now a smoked goose egg, that would be a thing of beauty - that lovely rich creaminess of the yolk offset by the smoke hmmm...

Glad the cure arrived ok, let me know how the bacon tastes
Jonty
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Next

Return to Low 'n' Slow (Smoking)