which type of smoker is best

A place to discuss low 'n' slow cooking, ask questions and share advice.

which type of smoker is best

Postby joker smoker » 21 Oct 2009, 22:34

Hello there .I use several types of smokers,[offsets, water smokers and pellet grills] and cook different things on each. I'd love to hear from any one who uses UDS or ceramics as well For instance , I prefer Brisket from an offset yet ribs from my Traeger. Now we are not affiliated to any brand of smoker can we speak openly about our experiences? Excel 20 or WSM ? Offset or UDS? What do you prefer to cook on? Please speak up.
joker smoker
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Re: which type of smoker is best

Postby British BBQ Society » 22 Oct 2009, 08:28

Hi Joker,

You are allowed to speak about any brand, there are no restirctions on here.

Cheers
Toby
British BBQ Society
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Steve » 22 Oct 2009, 11:38

My team cooks on Excel 20's (we own one each) so these cookers are what I have the most experience with. I was fortunate enough to be at the American Royal this year where we cooked on two Fast Eddy pellet poopers and I spent some time with our neighbours, one of whom had a beast of an offset on a trailer and the other was cooking with 4 WSM's controlled by a stoker.

I like the Excel 20, the modular design and access doors are great features and I get good results cooking on it. It's not Weber build quality but it doesn't carry the Weber price tag either. Where I'd say it falls down a bit is at holding temperatures, it's hungry on charcoal to keep 225-250 for long periods and it struggles to hold heat in the wind. My view on it is that it makes a great first smoker and if you can forgive feeding it lots of charcoal it's a really great value smoker. I think mine will be cooking for a lot of years to come.

I've never cooked on a WSM, I don't like the doors, but it's built to the quality I'd expect from Weber. I know a number of guys who use them and the feedback is always positive apart from when you tlak about the doors :lol:

As for pellet poopers, I really didn't like the idea of them before going to the Royal. However I have to admit I liked the FEC100 we used in KC. What I like about it is that it gets up to temperature quickly, holds temperature well and gives a nice gentle stream of smoke that's consistent. I heard Fast Eddy himself say that it removes a lot of the uncertainties in smoking and I have to agree. However for me, this is one of the things I like least about it too, I like the artistry and skill of maintaining a fire and controlling how much smoke is present, that's part of the fun for me. So really I'm in two minds, using the FEC doesn't feel involved enough for me but it cooks really well and so consistently, for competition (or for vending if that's your thing) it has such big plus points that it's hard not to want one. Put it this way I definately hope Santa drops one down my chimney one Christmas soon.

My thoughts on offsets. Well I've never cooked on one but I want one! :twisted: My first big BBQ investment is going to be an offset, hopefully a David Klose but that's serious cash and it'll have to wait a while. The offset for me is the kind of unit I [i]want[/] to cook on and of course it's one of the classic American BBQ designs.

While at the Royal, our friend Ray Lampe (Dr BBQ) was cooking on a Big Green Egg and I tasted the best ribs I've ever had from Ray (which he described as "not bad" :roll: ), cooked on the Egg. The ceramic cookers look like another prefectly viable option and Kamado ones are also very beautiful to look at but I don't think it's an option I'll ever explore.

So personally I don't reckon you could ever say which smoker is "best" the good ones of each type have their own pros and cons. One thing I can say is that writing this essay has made me hungry, if only I wasn't at work...
Steve
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Spice » 22 Oct 2009, 15:57

It's not the Cooker. Rather it is the Cook that knows his/her cooker that has the greatist amount of success. Each cooker has it's own quirks and learning curves. It all depends on what style you wish to adapt to. I prefer insulated uprights only because they are not affected by weather conditions and I can get atleast 4 hours of sleep at a comp. Same goes for Pellet cookers, however they have moving parts or electrical requirements that may cause them to shut down. Cookers like the WSM are great cookers for the money but can be affected by wind and rain. All are good cookers, it just a matter of how much you wish to spend.
Spice
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby musicmanryann » 22 Oct 2009, 17:05

Spice wrote:It's not the Cooker. Rather it is the Cook that knows his/her cooker that has the greatist amount of success. Each cooker has it's own quirks and learning curves. It all depends on what style you wish to adapt to. I prefer insulated uprights only because they are not affected by weather conditions and I can get atleast 4 hours of sleep at a comp. Same goes for Pellet cookers, however they have moving parts or electrical requirements that may cause them to shut down. Cookers like the WSM are great cookers for the money but can be affected by wind and rain. All are good cookers, it just a matter of how much you wish to spend.

What kind of cooker do you cook on Spice? ;)
musicmanryann
Still Raw Inside
Still Raw Inside

Postby joker smoker » 23 Oct 2009, 00:49

thanks for your comments ...nice to see a few new heads around..
joker smoker
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby All Weather Griller » 23 Oct 2009, 15:48

I use WSM's I have one of each size. I have in the past used Excel 20's but they keep getting "Borrowed" by friends. I haven't seen two of them since.

The WSM is excellent, maintains a good temp, is efficient with fuel and looks good after 5 years of loyal service. My next purchase is likely to be a stoker!!!
All Weather Griller

Postby stickthekettleon » 25 Oct 2009, 16:06

We have a small family of cookers (2 excel 20's and a weber kettle). I have to admit I only use the weber for fast grilling or putting my chimney starters on. The excels tho, truth be told I'm having a bit of a love affair with those (much to the annoyance of the missus). I just love the veritility of the things, as Steve said, the challenge of keeping them to temp and such just adds to the fun of cooking on the things. Don't get me wrong, sometimes a new experiment goes horribly wrong, But I learn from the experience and do better the next time. Every now and then tho.....Daym! if it doesn't tase good. :D
If truth be told I found the FEC100 a bit sterile for my taste, I found the experience of cooking on it a bit like setting the temp on the oven and leaving your food for "40mins or until crisp". Horses for courses and all that, but the FEC's not my cup of tea I'm afraid.
stickthekettleon
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Return to Low 'n' Slow (Smoking)