Salmon and bacon using new cold smoke generator - q view

A place to discuss low 'n' slow cooking, ask questions and share advice.

Salmon and bacon using new cold smoke generator - q view

Postby robgunby » 04 Jan 2014, 18:51

I've been faffing about the last few weeks with various ideas on generating cold smoke.

Whilst my old setup works, it's labour intensive and convoluted, so I have made a new one based on the ProQ generator, which is essentially an overpriced sieve.

I make my own sawdust from seasoned oak logs using an electric planer. I cure this in the oven for an hour or so, and then a sieve full will smoulder nicely for between 50 - 90 minutes.

Ok, it's not a 10 hour unattended burn like the ProQ, but it was £3. £3!!!! Also, stoking it once an hour is about four times fewer times an hour than the old setup. The smoke coming off it is cool and wispy, perfect!

Got some salmon and a piece of bacon in there now.

Been going since about 2, even after four hours they are taking on a smoke colour. Last time I smoked the salmon for only 6 or 8 hours or so, but the smoke was heavier. This time, with a lighter smoke, I am hoping the longer smoke time will aid the drying process, thus making the food last longer.
robgunby
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Re: Salmon and bacon using new cold smoke generator - q view

Postby robgunby » 05 Jan 2014, 10:08

The salmon is lovely, though not as nice as last time. A little saltier, not as sweet, but a nicer smoke flavour, more rounded and full bodied than last time.

The salmon side was not of as high quality as last time though, so I did not expect it to be as good.

The belly of bacon I haven't tasted yet, but I cut into it last night to find it has no marbling of fat inside - a huge disappointment. Not a lot anyone can do about that - just a disappointingly lean beast.

Not to worry, as I will chop it, freeze it, and use it as a flavour enhancer in meals.

Making some carnitas tonight (yes, a pork shoulder that I'm not smoking!) so will add some of the bacon to that and see how it goes.

The generator? It failed on me 3 or 4 times during the day, burning for 20 mins or so then going out - some trial and error with sawdust grade, dryness and how to pack it in should see to that. Other than that, very pleased with my £3 CSG!
robgunby
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby YetiDave » 06 Jan 2014, 09:06

Nice work :D the Pro Q CSG is pricey, but IMHO it's worth it as I give bacon 24 hours of smoke! I've still yet to try cold smoking salmon
YetiDave
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby robgunby » 06 Jan 2014, 14:01

Yeah, I'm still considering getting one. Really getting into cold smoking, but stoking it so often is a pain and I'd like to do longer smokes. I would still make my own sawdust rather than buy it at their prices though!

Highly recommend you give salmon a go, so easy, and much, much better and cheaper than in the shops.
robgunby
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby YetiDave » 06 Jan 2014, 14:38

I cold smoke quite a bit and I've had tons of use from the thing and only recently has it ever gone out on me (I think because some cured beef dripped on it) So you shouldn't ever have to worry about it until it comes to changing the dust :) I've found with a coarser dust I can get upwards of 16 hours of smoke out of it before having to refill
YetiDave
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby robgunby » 07 Jan 2014, 08:05

Where do you source your dust Dave? I currently make my own from logs with an electric planer, drying it in the oven.

I thought Pro-Q only sold one grade of dust?
robgunby
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby derekmiller » 07 Jan 2014, 09:13

I get my sawdust from a guy called Turan, he runs this website.

http://www.smokedust.co.uk/catalog02/in ... 20a37a8cf3
derekmiller
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby robgunby » 07 Jan 2014, 09:38

Thanks Derek - it's good to see a UK supplier of a wide range of woods.

Still a little pricey for my liking unfortunately - the price of a 350g bag of dust is what I pay for a sack of logs. If I were to buy manufactured dust I think it would be preferable to buy in bulk too.
robgunby
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby derekmiller » 07 Jan 2014, 11:32

Unfortunately I have to agree with you Rob. I havent found a bulk supplier that deals with the public. When we cured and smoked the ham I used 3 bags. Becomes quiet expensive, especially with all the cheese and salmon we smoke as well.
derekmiller
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby robgunby » 07 Jan 2014, 12:00

I will have a word with the sawmill where I buy my logs, see if they are able to isolate dust of particular woods. If so, and if reasonably priced, I would be happy to pick some up and post it on.
robgunby
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Next

Return to Low 'n' Slow (Smoking)