Packer cut Brisket - advice needed

A place to discuss low 'n' slow cooking, ask questions and share advice.

Re: Packer cut Brisket - advice needed

Postby essexsmoker » 07 May 2015, 10:31

Pompey Dinlo wrote:I bought a packer from Tom Hixson last week, £35. It was Australian beef, had lots of gold and silver award stickers on the packaging but I really didn't pay much attention to what they were. I was a bit dubious about Australian beef, it doesn't really have much of a reputation however it came out well, a bit dry in the flat but I didn't separate it in time however I've used it to make a brisket chilli and it turned out very well. As for the taste, not much to get excited about, I've had far tastier British beef. Delivery was free because I added some bavette steak,pork shoulders, ribs, gammon and sausages to the order so that it came to over £100. The ribs were Spanish pork, tasted ok, sausages were 62% pork and contained MSG and tasted like you'd expect them to taste, wouldn't buy again and the gammon was from EU pork (not specified) and pumped with water.

I think I'll try Turner and George next.

Oh. That doesn't sound too promising. Was going to place an order with them but might not bother now. Hmmm.
essexsmoker
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby TakingtheBrisket » 07 May 2015, 12:18

essexsmoker wrote:
Pompey Dinlo wrote:I bought a packer from Tom Hixson last week, £35. It was Australian beef, had lots of gold and silver award stickers on the packaging but I really didn't pay much attention to what they were. I was a bit dubious about Australian beef, it doesn't really have much of a reputation however it came out well, a bit dry in the flat but I didn't separate it in time however I've used it to make a brisket chilli and it turned out very well. As for the taste, not much to get excited about, I've had far tastier British beef. Delivery was free because I added some bavette steak,pork shoulders, ribs, gammon and sausages to the order so that it came to over £100. The ribs were Spanish pork, tasted ok, sausages were 62% pork and contained MSG and tasted like you'd expect them to taste, wouldn't buy again and the gammon was from EU pork (not specified) and pumped with water.

I think I'll try Turner and George next.

Oh. That doesn't sound too promising. Was going to place an order with them but might not bother now. Hmmm.

I did an aussie brisket from tom hixons on monday, the meat came out spot on
TakingtheBrisket
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby Toby » 07 May 2015, 12:22

The Wyngham Aussie grainfed form Tom Hixson is my brisket of choice by some way. Maybe not the prettiest but have always had the best results form them. TH also do the USDA which is my second choice. Always looking for a minimum of 4kg for low and slow.
Toby
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby JBBQ » 07 May 2015, 14:30

Just took delivery of my Aussie from Tom Hixson... will let you know on Sunday but it looks a much better size than I have been getting
JBBQ
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby Pompey Dinlo » 07 May 2015, 15:02

essexsmoker wrote:Oh. That doesn't sound too promising. Was going to place an order with them but might not bother now. Hmmm.

The brisket was fine, it went down a storm however it didn't taste as beefy as I would have liked although having not tried the more expensive British brisket they sell I can't offer a comparison.

What I would say is that for the rest of the meat, except the pork butt as I haven't tried it yet, it's not as good quality as I would like. I like my pork free range and British and I like my sausages to be at least 90% pork and certainly without msg.
Pompey Dinlo
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby BraaiMeesterWannabe » 11 Jan 2016, 23:26

Just ordered a T&G packer after a year of prevaricating...know what I'll be doing this weekend then!
BraaiMeesterWannabe
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Previous

Return to Low 'n' Slow (Smoking)