Packer cut Brisket - advice needed

A place to discuss low 'n' slow cooking, ask questions and share advice.

Re: Packer cut Brisket - advice needed

Postby HertsBrisket » 31 Mar 2015, 11:35

Just ordered my 5th packer from T&G.

They've always been top quality so far. I've also found it difficult to find a butcher that understands what I mean when I ask for a packer cut - I know it's an american cut, and they might not be familiar with it, but most seem extremely uninterested in finding out how to do it, and getting the customer (me) what he wants.

T&G also go as far as differentiating the breed of cow they're supplying to you. So far I've had 3 Dexter and 1 Highland.

I found the Dexter to be much better in terms of fat distribution - It made for a lovely smoke. The highland was perhaps a little too lean. Of course, it could have just been down to my cooking ability - But the highland was definitely dryer after smoking than the Dexters.

I'm experimenting this weekend, and in addition to the packer, have ordered some of their beef short ribs - Something I've not cooked before.
HertsBrisket
Still Raw Inside
Still Raw Inside

Postby YetiDave » 01 Apr 2015, 09:32

Wish I had the spare dough to throw at one of these. They are frighteningly expensive!
YetiDave
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby HertsBrisket » 01 Apr 2015, 15:16

I wouldn't say expensive.

T & G Brisket - £8.10 per KG
Tesco Brisket - £8.00 per KG

The cost comes with the weight - Tesco will happily sell you a 600g rolled brisket, whereas T&G only sell the whole 6KG packer. i.e. 10 times as much meat.

The difference in quality is immense - I doubt the Tesco stuff would have aged even a week, while T&G will be at least 28 days aged, and you'll also know the provenance and breed of the cattle.

You can always freeze what you can't eat, and spread the cost over several meals - Although, I would struggle to do this - Once confronted with the sight and smell of a freshly smoked packer, I am liable to make a pig of myself.
HertsBrisket
Still Raw Inside
Still Raw Inside

Postby Smoky Joe » 02 Apr 2015, 09:25

I could not recommend Turner and George highly enough. The briskets are amazing and if you talk to them nicely they sometimes have some 51 day aged briskets and they will do them for the same price as the 28 day aged. They melt like butter in your mouth and have an amazing fat layer on them and perfect for low and slow smoking. The meat that you will get from Tesco is awful and has been pumped full of water to make up weight. Really spend a few pence more and get something you will be proud of and cant stop eating as it is worth it.

Gav
Smoky Joe
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby YetiDave » 02 Apr 2015, 09:30

Aye, slap on the postage charge and it's the best part of £10/kg :shock: I'd not touch supermarket stuff
YetiDave
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby essexsmoker » 03 Apr 2015, 17:15

YetiDave wrote:Wish I had the spare dough to throw at one of these. They are frighteningly expensive!

Yes they are! I am gagging to get one but the money is just out of my league.
essexsmoker
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby Scantily » 03 Apr 2015, 17:42

It really doesn't seem that expensive to me, sure it's not as ridiculously cheap as meat in the US. But under £50 for an enormous hunk of amazing tasting beef seems like a reasonable deal. A meal for two at a restaurant would easily see you spending at least that much, and with the brisket you'll have plenty of leftovers.
Scantily
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby YetiDave » 03 Apr 2015, 19:48

You make a good point there. One my girlfriend might buy... :roll:
YetiDave
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby Scantily » 03 Apr 2015, 20:26

I consider myself lucky that my girlfriend is also a massive fan of American bbq, so is happy to spend money on good meat and enjoy bbq at home rather than go out.
Scantily
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby BraaiMeesterWannabe » 27 Apr 2015, 07:20

It's that postage cost that puts it at £10/kg, which is bloody expensive for brisket
BraaiMeesterWannabe
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

PreviousNext

Return to Low 'n' Slow (Smoking)