Cold Smoker

A place to discuss low 'n' slow cooking, ask questions and share advice.

Cold Smoker

Postby PDC7 » 26 Jan 2015, 12:56

I was given a pro Q cold smoker for Christmas but now I have it, id don't really know what to do with it. All I can think of to do so far is maybe some bacon, sausage, cheese and garlic cloves, but other than that im stumped!!!

anyone got a list of fave foods to cold smoke? also where do you buy the wood dust from? I only got 1 pack with the cold smoker
PDC7
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Re: Cold Smoker

Postby Eddie » 26 Jan 2015, 20:22

Salmon is fantastic and my fav with the cold smoker generator. You can buy wood dust from ebay but you don't know if they have had anything added (Toxins). So for a safe bet is to buy them from macsbbq.co.uk as he is the person that makes the generators and knows how fine the dust should be?

Eddie
Eddie
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby BraaiMeesterWannabe » 26 Jan 2015, 22:51

If you have a local orvis they sell it too. Cheaper than the ProQ stuff.
Get a book called Smoking food at home with Smokey Jo. Great idea for all foods in there. Link to webpage http://www.smokyjos.co.uk
BraaiMeesterWannabe
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby noworries » 03 Feb 2015, 15:19

You could smoke some mild cheddar with apple or beech. Smoked Apple wood cheddar is absolutely delicious. Buy it all the time here in Ireland.
noworries
Still Raw Inside
Still Raw Inside

Postby keith157 » 06 Feb 2015, 05:16

Have a look at coldsmoking.co. Turan sells a good range of dusts and chips as well as the large csg, and assorted goodies.
keith157

Postby keith157 » 06 Feb 2015, 05:16

Have a look at coldsmoking.co. Turan sells a good range of dusts and chips as well as the large csg, and assorted goodies.
keith157

Postby keith157 » 06 Feb 2015, 05:17

keith157

Postby somapop » 16 Feb 2015, 13:44

Finally got round to picking a Pro Q cold smoker.
Had a quick browse on these boards to get a few ideas. I'd prefer to do as much as I can with the first batch so as to no waste much of the dust (I think it comes with a pack of 100g oak).
Aside from cheese (mild rather than mature - make a difference?) I was also thinking of butter and salmon. I tend to buy smoked garlic, but up to now it seems only the 'skin' of the garlic has absorbed the smoke - the garlic cloves seem to miss out on the flavour.
Salmon is an interesting one. I haven't fully looked into it yet, but is is possible to 'cure' it via the cold smoker (presumably pre brining process first)?
Other than that, I have some bacon hanging in the shed ready to come out...possible stick that on too.

One further question: I'll be smoking via the UDS. Only one shelf at the moment (but can be shifted on two positions), so will place the pro Q on top of the diffuser then use the first shelf above. For those cold smoking via their UDS, do you tend to have just one vent open at the bottom and leave the top one fully closed?

Many thanks.
somapop
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby JBBQ » 16 Feb 2015, 15:10

I got one for valentines gift.. it must be love (of smoked cheese!)
JBBQ
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby BraaiMeesterWannabe » 16 Feb 2015, 17:03

somapop wrote:I tend to buy smoked garlic, but up to now it seems only the 'skin' of the garlic has absorbed the smoke - the garlic cloves seem to miss out on the flavour.
Salmon is an interesting one. I haven't fully looked into it yet, but is is possible to 'cure' it via the cold smoker (presumably pre brining process first)?
Other than that, I have some bacon hanging in the shed ready to come out...possible stick that on too.

Garlic is not cost effective unless you plan to do loads imo. You need to do it for 20hrs or more.

Smoked salmon is just cold smoked. Salt first rather than brine. Smokey Jo's book is a good place to start for advice.
BraaiMeesterWannabe
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Next

Return to Low 'n' Slow (Smoking)