From Grill to Smoker

A place to discuss low 'n' slow cooking, ask questions and share advice.

From Grill to Smoker

Postby BBQkev » 09 Apr 2015, 08:59

Looking for some advice. I have always been a BBQ guy (British style grill), in the last few years I have been smoking low 'n' slow in my Webber Kettle but more and more I'm interested in offset smoking and getting more smoking capacity than my kettle. Has anyone got any suggestions for a decent back garden offset smoker. I'm not looking to spend a fortune, maybe less than £200.
BBQkev
Still Raw Inside
Still Raw Inside

Re: From Grill to Smoker

Postby JEC » 09 Apr 2015, 11:44

To be honest you will be hard pushed to find an offset for less than £200 that is worth buying, you'd be better of looking for a bullet style smoker, again will be a bit more than £200 but still lots cheaper than a decent offset. Check out the weber smokey mountain or the ProQ frontier.
JEC

Postby YetiDave » 09 Apr 2015, 11:56

Solid advice from JEC there. I would steer well clear of an offset unless you've got a high budget and an unlimited supply of seasoned hardwood.
YetiDave
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby Tiny » 09 Apr 2015, 17:03

You may as well smoke by setting fire to the £200 rather than buy a cheap offset. If you have a Weber kettle there is an stacker available for about £100 that turns it into a bullet style smoker, or spend slightly less and build your own UDS.

Or spend slightly more and buy an GMG Daniel Boon, I just did and am well pleased......

Honestly cheap offsets, as sensible as putting your love spuds in an honey badgers mouth and whacking his with a rolled up towel, just don't do it......
Cheers
Tiny
Tiny
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby PyroBoris » 14 Apr 2015, 11:04

Tiny wrote:Honestly cheap offsets, as sensible as putting your love spuds in an honey badgers mouth and whacking his with a rolled up towel, just don't do it......
Cheers
Tiny

:lol: Honeybadgers are truly vicious beasts!

Use the money to make two UDS's, and place one slightly higher than other. Now you have two smokers and one is slightly offset. Use the remaining money to buy lots of meat! (and coal)
PyroBoris
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby PDC7 » 14 Apr 2015, 12:00

I have to admit I was in the Range a couple of weeks ago and amongst all the cack there was a decent quality setup available (I estimate metal was almost 2mm thick)

This is the basic section:

http://www.therange.co.uk/bbq-chef-smok ... uct/110071

and this can be attached to turn it into and offset smoker:

(doesn't appear on website but is in store)

It may be worth taking a look if you are instore one day, i'm not saying it is any good, but I thought it looked decent.

total cost to collect would be under £200
PDC7
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby PyroBoris » 14 Apr 2015, 13:25

I've definitely seem worse BBQ's! This one even has a bottle opener on the front :)
PyroBoris
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Return to Low 'n' Slow (Smoking)