Frozen meat

A place to discuss low 'n' slow cooking, ask questions and share advice.

Frozen meat

Postby aris » 30 Apr 2015, 07:30

Are there any issues with smoking meat which has been previously frozen? Not looking at competition level cooking here - and frozen ribs have not been an issue for me, but what about something like a brisket, or a pork butt?
aris
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Re: Frozen meat

Postby JoeSalop » 30 Apr 2015, 07:52

I've smoked brisket and pork belly that were frozen. They were both fine. The skin from the belly wasn't v good though- I didn't smoke it, tried to oven it- ended up throwing it unfortunately.
JoeSalop
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby essexsmoker » 30 Apr 2015, 20:11

Only thing that can happen is that you lose moisture. the liquid you get in the package can't be put back.
essexsmoker
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby wigliams » 01 May 2015, 00:08

Hey Essexsmoker, nice to find someone from my neck of the woods! I froze a boneless pork butt from macros for a month. Defrosted it, took the netting off, took the rind off, tied it up again, cooked it on my uds, it was lum lum.
wigliams
Still Raw Inside
Still Raw Inside

Postby essexsmoker » 01 May 2015, 06:45

Oh yeah, I use frozen all the time as I tend but a few bits when offers are on. All I'm saying is that the juice in the tray you often get from defrosting can't be put back and that fresh is better if you can. If the meat is fatty enough it will still be scrummy. :)
essexsmoker
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Return to Low 'n' Slow (Smoking)