Wings - smoke or grill

A place to discuss low 'n' slow cooking, ask questions and share advice.

Wings - smoke or grill

Postby dannysmith43 » 30 Jul 2015, 16:27

Hey,

Since owning a Weber I'm determined to smoke everything! I love chicken wings, I don't really know why but I do, bloody love them. So I've been smoking them, first with hickory chips and then with cherry wood chips and I must say...they smell too smokey, like burnt smoke. The last set I did, I used soaked hickory chips (weber brand) in a small metal box placed on top of the coals.
Should I use less perhaps? or just not bother smoking something so small? perhaps wings are just better grilled!

opinions welcome, thanks!
dannysmith43
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Re: Wings - smoke or grill

Postby Vibe » 30 Jul 2015, 16:38

Your best bet is to first try less chips. I prefer smoked drumsticks to wings if I'm honest. I don't ever soak chips either. Remember to only change one thing at a time though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Vibe
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby Vibe » 30 Jul 2015, 17:15

If you're using a Weber Kettle, get a full chimney going and in a 2 zone set up - so all coals on 1 side of the kettle.

Put on a couple handful of chips or 1-2 chunks.

You want it at like 500F (260C) - 550F (288C) on the dome therm if you have it.

30 Minutes then turn, 20 more minutes then check. Might need another 5-10 minutes if not done or not sure. Or just use an instant read thermometer.

Also, are your vents over the chicken when cooking? I'm guessing so if too smokey and if you struggle to get that high temps offset the lid slightly. So next to coals the lid is off slightly - make sure its drawing air from below and then the offset on the other side (by the food) will let smoke out upwards
Vibe
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby essexsmoker » 30 Jul 2015, 18:46

I LOVE chicken wings too! Amazing things if done right.

I'd assume that's on a kettle and using chips , and that you are getting white smoke?
You don't want much of that to have a very smokey taste. I'd say just use less chips.

Don't soak your chips either, it just evaporates off anyway and causes more white smoke. I use about 1 handful.
essexsmoker
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby gavinbbq » 30 Jul 2015, 19:17

Yeah from what I've researched wet wood doesn't give you a clean smoke. Also I'm pretty sure some briquettes can leave a pretty horrible taste to the food you're cooking.

gavinbbq
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby dannysmith43 » 31 Jul 2015, 13:43

Thanks guys, yes it is on a kettle grill. The consensus appears to be;
Less chips and no water! Yes, there is a lot of white smoke, I stupidly thought that was a good thing...duh!
I usually do about 50 minutes at 350F turning them after 25 mins, I'll try them at a higher heat next time.

Better get some this weekend and try it out. Tesco sell them for £2.50 for just over a kilo, finally an addiction that's cheap :P
dannysmith43
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby Vibe » 31 Jul 2015, 14:42

Wait til you decide to try and master brisket and pulled pork, it's then no longer cheap, well once a month isn't an issue, it's when you go for once a week :)

Vibe
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby essexsmoker » 31 Jul 2015, 16:12

dannysmith43 wrote:Thanks guys, yes it is on a kettle grill. The consensus appears to be;
Less chips and no water! Yes, there is a lot of white smoke, I stupidly thought that was a good thing...duh!
I usually do about 50 minutes at 350F turning them after 25 mins, I'll try them at a higher heat next time.

Better get some this weekend and try it out. Tesco sell them for £2.50 for just over a kilo, finally an addiction that's cheap :P

Hi Danny, white smoke isn't a bad thing, it's the whole point of smoking! It's good for quick grilling but you don't want too much of it.
essexsmoker
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby essexsmoker » 31 Jul 2015, 16:14

dannysmith43 wrote:Thanks guys, yes it is on a kettle grill. The consensus appears to be;

They are dirt cheap and soooo tasty. I like them dry rubbed or even plain with salt, pepper and chopped chilli sprinkled over then toss in a bowl. Yum.
essexsmoker
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby Deano » 31 Jul 2015, 22:01

I'd go for less chips too, I finish them off direct over the coals sometimes too, usually when I add a sauce at the end, just a minute each side.
Deano
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Next

Return to Low 'n' Slow (Smoking)