Set and forget options in British weather

A place to discuss low 'n' slow cooking, ask questions and share advice.

Set and forget options in British weather

Postby robgunby » 26 Aug 2015, 17:33

My UDS serves me well, and I enjoy much of the ritual of cooking on it... BUT...

sometimes I yearn for an easy life, and find myself considering an electric smoker. I know I would be forgoing much of the fun, not to mention the bark. I can sacrifice that. What keeps me from buying one is rain. I don't have a reliable shelter. Are there any British-weather-proof electric smokers? Any forum users use electric that can offer experience and advice?

Ta
robgunby
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Re: Set and forget options in British weather

Postby JBBQ » 26 Aug 2015, 17:35

I just built a fold-out shelter for my GMG - hinged on the wall and held up with bamboo when it does rain, not in the way when it doesn't ... before that an umbrella, in a holder designed for a golf trolley!
JBBQ
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby robgunby » 27 Aug 2015, 07:39

JBBQ wrote:I just built a fold-out shelter for my GMG - hinged on the wall and held up with bamboo when it does rain, not in the way when it doesn't ... before that an umbrella, in a holder designed for a golf trolley!

Thanks jbbq. Do you have any pics of your handy work?
robgunby
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby JBBQ » 27 Aug 2015, 08:45

https://goo.gl/photos/Ckd9ivZ7CHVPFXW47

The wood legs were temportary - I got some 3" bamboo to complete the look :)
JBBQ
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby robgunby » 27 Aug 2015, 09:44

That's really useful thanks. I've been considering a similar rig to cover me, the smoker and the kit for a while. This looks doable even for a novice like myself!
robgunby
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby Kiska95 » 27 Aug 2015, 10:27

String a cheap tarp up in the short term. The GMG has a decent cover when not in use :D
Kiska95
Twisted Firestarter
Twisted Firestarter

Postby JBBQ » 27 Aug 2015, 16:36

disagree with that - after 2 years mine is letting in water on the top front seam! need to re proof!!
JBBQ
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby QueFrescoPaul » 09 Sep 2015, 13:07

My only experience of an electric smoker is the Bradley digital and I wouldn't recommend it to anyone.

The electric element that gives the heat simply isn't powerful enough to heat the whole chamber (mine was a six rack) and because it's positioned at the bottom of the chamber the temperature variation between top and bottom is just too great. When used in freezing Winter temps it was a complete waste of time and money. To cap it all, the bisquettes are bloomin expensive too.

If you can afford it, get a kamado, the super insulated ceramic means that you don't have to continually adjust the dampers, they work well in the rain and food tastes great.
QueFrescoPaul
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby slemps » 10 Sep 2015, 08:03

QueFrescoPaul wrote:My only experience of an electric smoker is the Bradley digital and I wouldn't recommend it to anyone.

The electric element that gives the heat simply isn't powerful enough to heat the whole chamber (mine was a six rack) and because it's positioned at the bottom of the chamber the temperature variation between top and bottom is just too great. When used in freezing Winter temps it was a complete waste of time and money. To cap it all, the bisquettes are bloomin expensive too..

Exactly the same for me. I wouldn't buy another Bradley at half the price. Mine ended up as a very expensive cold smoke cabinet with a Pro Q CSG in the bottom.
slemps
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby Chasing blue smoke » 03 Oct 2015, 22:28

QueFrescoPaul wrote:
If you can afford it, get a kamado, the super insulated ceramic means that you don't have to continually adjust the dampers, they work well in the rain and food tastes great.

I agree,average 25mm outside 25mm firebox is is a lot of insulation.works well in rain and not effected by low outside temperatures.Also once you find a setting(top and bottom vent position) it's the same each time. allowing for differences in charcoal from batch to batch and different brands.
Chasing blue smoke
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Next

Return to Low 'n' Slow (Smoking)