Booker Ribs -word of warning.

A place to discuss low 'n' slow cooking, ask questions and share advice.

Booker Ribs -word of warning.

Postby essexsmoker » 16 Sep 2015, 18:29

So I excitedly zipped into Bookers tonight to get my first box of ribs! Got the meaty ones simply because they are individually wrapped and easier to separate and store.

I get home and the first thing I do is head for the freezer and rip my box of ribs open to store them ready for use! :mrgreen:

OMG.

I wasn't quite prepared for what was inside the box.
I have a normal sized, undercounter type freezer, which as it turns out I foolishly assumed would be just the ticket. I've had ribs many times from supermarkets and my local butcher and frozen them no worries.
What faced me in the box was 10Kg of ribs the length of a house (maybe a slight exaggeration) and as hard as a brick! :oops:
At this point my old (and to be honest , never very good) Tetris skills (?) kicked into overdrive but no matter which way I turned or flipped them the buggers weren't going in!

To cut a long story short, after some rummaging I found 3 slightly more bent racks and managed by hook or by crook to cram them in and slam the door shut before they changed their mind and mafe a bid for the fields again!

The up shot is that I now have 4kg of ribs to eat! Which, on reflection isn't such a bad thing but is a lot of meat to cook when it's hammering (and I mean hammering) down!

So, a word of warning to any excited and slightly naive buyer, be aware that these things are between 19 and 20 inches long!

Chest freezer for Crippy me thinks!

Aside from that , although it pains me I now need to slow cook these monsters and wondering if anyone had a suggestion? I'm thinking pork stock bit of rub and a gallon of bbq sauce?
essexsmoker
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Re: Booker Ribs -word of warning.

Postby Vibe » 16 Sep 2015, 20:19

Slightly off topic, have a friend that works near a Booker so going to ask him to grab me some. What should I ask for exactly? 10kg frozen meaty ribs, individually wrapped? Will that be enough info or is there something more specific I should mention? Also what do they cost? And I'm guessing it's 5 x 2kg racks?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Vibe
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby essexsmoker » 16 Sep 2015, 20:33

Are you or is he a member? You can't just pop in...

They have chinese writing on the top. Belvedere meaty ribs. 26.99 for 10kg. Very cheap. Not opened the bag yet but they look good.
essexsmoker
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby Vibe » 16 Sep 2015, 20:46

Providing nothing has changed, he works for a company that are members (I used to work there).

I remember hearing they can go buy stuff with the company card etc.
So I really hope this is still the case!

Alternatively I work with someone now that has his own company set up on the side. Maybe he can get a membership as I know he likes to smoke foods once in a while.
Vibe
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby scuba-doo » 17 Sep 2015, 06:17

When I first bought some of these ribs I too struggled for space but managed to break them in half while still frozen
scuba-doo
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby aris » 17 Sep 2015, 06:27

You must have a chest freezer :lol: If you do get one and put it in the shed or garage, just make sure it is suitable for that location. Some chest freezers don't work if they are in a very cold environment.
aris
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby essexsmoker » 17 Sep 2015, 08:51

Must admit i didn't try snapping them in half. You must have had your weetabix. Lol.
essexsmoker
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby essexsmoker » 17 Sep 2015, 08:51

Yes I would put it in the garage.
essexsmoker
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby Vibe » 17 Sep 2015, 08:55

Well I have the chest freezer... Just a shame I didn't have the Booker card :(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Vibe
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby Scantily » 17 Sep 2015, 11:44

These giant ribs were a large part of my motivation behind buying a chest freezer last year, i've struggled before trying to fit them in an upright freezer which requires some serious krypton factor skills and a lot of space. Now i just chuck the whole box in the freezer.
Scantily
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Next

Return to Low 'n' Slow (Smoking)