Cold smoke shop bought sausages.

A place to discuss low 'n' slow cooking, ask questions and share advice.

Cold smoke shop bought sausages.

Postby essexsmoker » 25 Sep 2015, 20:49

Hi all,

I'm planning on using my cold smoker tomorrow and have bought some shop made sausages just while I experiment. Is this OK? Will they smoke OK?
essexsmoker
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Re: Cold smoke shop bought sausages.

Postby Kiska95 » 26 Sep 2015, 11:05

Hi

I poached mine first then cold smoked (like the old NE butchers do) as you don't want to be in any "Danger temp Zone" with pork. They would need to be cured if cold smoking raw I would think.
Kiska95
Twisted Firestarter
Twisted Firestarter

Postby essexsmoker » 26 Sep 2015, 18:53

I took them out after an hour. I assumed shop bought ones would be cured (like bacon) but then read they might not be.

As it turns out I had trouble keeping the chips alight at first. Then dried further in the oven and they burned ok after that for about an hour or so then I thinned the line out and it went out. Really need to practice with it first I think. Was hell getting it lit too. Got there eventually though. Little tinkering required.
essexsmoker
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby Kiska95 » 27 Sep 2015, 09:41

Hi

Shop bought sausages are raw meat and not cured. Normally the types that are ready to eat have a cure but not always

Curing/brining converts pork to bacon/ham then it can be smoked even salmon is cured before being smoked.

When "cold smoking" you need the temperature low with clean cool smoke (no heat) therefore you are taking a huge risk with raw sausage as they will be definitely in the Danger temp zone for a couple of hours. I would bin them mate! Hot smoke and even then care needs to be taken or cook them first.
Kiska95
Twisted Firestarter
Twisted Firestarter

Postby Kiska95 » 27 Sep 2015, 09:46

Hi again

I don't like jumping forums but the Smoking Meat Forum has a huge section on this topic. The Americans call it the "40 to 140 in 4 rule". Just type your query into their Search bar. They have a UK group too that will help loads.

Wade on this forum and SMF is a veritable expert on this subject so he may give you a few pointers or PM him.

Better to be safe!!!!!!
Kiska95
Twisted Firestarter
Twisted Firestarter

Postby wade » 27 Sep 2015, 10:05

It would depend on the temperature of your cold smoker. I can keep mine down to between 4-8 C and so that would not be a problem for smoking shop bought sausages for an hour or so - however if you cannot do this then you probably want to hot smoke them or poach them as Kiska suggests

However if you are making your own then add some nitrite (in the form of cure#1) to your meat/spice mix and you will be fine for smoking at longer periods at higher temperatures. You should be aiming for about 160 Ppm (mg/Kg) Nitrite.
wade
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby gavinbbq » 27 Sep 2015, 12:02

So if it was a cold winters day 2-3c I'm assuming you could cold smoke raw un cured sausages for hours?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
gavinbbq
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby Kiska95 » 27 Sep 2015, 12:33

Hi

Yes because its the same temp or lower as your fridge where you would hold uncooked meats so no probs.
Pork Sausages are dodgy between 4.5c and 60c (40f to 140f)
Kiska95
Twisted Firestarter
Twisted Firestarter

Postby essexsmoker » 27 Sep 2015, 19:51

It was only about 20C for an hour and I then nuked them till they were about 80C plus inside. Not dead yet. Fingers crossed. lol.

I have been having a play today and managed to get it running for 5hrs.
However , I noticed that the burn was up the middle of the pile but didn't burn at the edge!
There was a fair amount of smoke but not a massive amount. How much do you need. I thought thin for longer might be better?
essexsmoker
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby wade » 28 Sep 2015, 02:57

essexsmoker wrote:It was only about 20C for an hour and I then nuked them till they were about 80C plus inside. Not dead yet. Fingers crossed. lol.

I have been having a play today and managed to get it running for 5hrs.
However , I noticed that the burn was up the middle of the pile but didn't burn at the edge!
There was a fair amount of smoke but not a massive amount. How much do you need. I thought thin for longer might be better?

It really depends on how smoky you want them. I use an AMNPS in a converted commercial fridge and the whole chamber fills up with good quality smoke within a few minutes. It will go for 16 hours between charges. Using something like a ProQ will generate less smoke. It sounds though as if you are using a mound of dust/chips so I guess the burn could be less predictable.
Temperature will also effect the degree to which the smoke is absorbed and it is easy to over smoke. What you may want to do is initially pull out a sausage after different periods of time and see what they taste like. If you are only smoking it for an hour then there should be little risk of it being over smoked.
wade
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Next

Return to Low 'n' Slow (Smoking)