What to bring back from the US?

A place to discuss low 'n' slow cooking, ask questions and share advice.

What to bring back from the US?

Postby Funstuie » 01 Oct 2015, 04:13

Hey all

So we moved to the US for my work last summer and will probably be here for at least another year but my wife wants to move back soon (we have 2 years more at most).

Since I moved here I have bought a Kamado Joe, a pizza party pizza oven, a BGE mini, a Primo Oval Jr, a weber performer, a traeger pellet smoker and also a yoder Wichita fully loaded. I also have a brinkman vertical water smoker (unopened), a black stone griddle.

I kind of went overboard and my wife is giving me jip about it. I have actually hid some of the grills from her. I have already decided that the pizza oven, the KJ, the BGE mini are definitely coming back to the uk in our container. I will more than likely take the black stone griddle and modify it for uk gas canisters.

I got an amazing deal on the yoder that I would probably make my money back and maybe more if I sold it on here but I really want to keep it. I cooked 2 Boston butts, 5 racks of ribs, half a turkey, 2 dozen wings two weeks ago. And although I did have to stay up all night tending the fire (I live in California so it's not that bad at night) I loved the experience and the food turned out amazing. A major issue is when we move back we will have to rent an abode and uk gardens are smaller and not really suited to burning a fire for 14 hours cooking food.

Is there any worth bringing the yoder home? Would it be worth anything in the uk. If for some reason I couldn't keep it is there a market for such a big stick burner in Blighty?

Also should I stockpile certain things to fill our container?
Funstuie
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Re: What to bring back from the US?

Postby Xtianmadrid » 01 Oct 2015, 08:32

Just a point, but do not forget that US is 110 volts and Uk 240 volts so anything electrical will need a transformer for the UK.
Xtianmadrid
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby gingerchris » 01 Oct 2015, 11:04

I don't think you'd have much problem selling a Yoder over here. I kinda want to buy it
gingerchris
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby essexsmoker » 01 Oct 2015, 12:19

Can you not just flog it in the US? Makes more sense surely? Personally I'd keep the traeger and sell the rest.
The yoder is great but not that practical unless you are a caterer.
essexsmoker
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby gavinbbq » 02 Oct 2015, 19:47

Bring it back and if you don't want it I'll have it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
gavinbbq
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby Chasing blue smoke » 03 Oct 2015, 22:06

im not sure about uk prices vs us but kamado joe lump charcoal is pretty good for the money.If i were moving and had room i would pile it high.
Chasing blue smoke
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby JBBQ » 16 Oct 2015, 09:23

Get a container, fill container with many many cases of BBQ things and sell it over here :)
JBBQ
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby lakemirror » 28 Feb 2016, 14:03

I know I'm late to this party but I read your post and thought I'd weigh in.

I'm a Florida native, moved to the UK 6 years ago. After 4 years in Blighty I moved back. When I went over, I shipped a Weber Smokey Mountain (new in box) in our container. In retrospect, the things I missed were mostly the accessories and expendables. Some of the smaller items I was able to supply myself with over the course of the 4 years by carrying to the UK in my luggage. Some things may be more readily available now in the UK, but probably not, and even so are most likely considerably less expensive in the US.

I wish I had taken:
Lawry's Seasoned Salt
McCormick's Grill Mates Montreal Steak Seasoning
Reynold's Heavy Duty Aluminum (sorry, "aluminium") foil, wide
Kingsford Original Charcoal Briquets
Stubb's Spicy BBQ Sauce
Extra-large charcoal chimney
Maverick 2-probe wireless thermometer
Thermapen instant-read thermometer
Rib racks
Grill screens

I see you guys are able to buy GMG pellet grills now....good for you! That was my first BBQ purchase upon returning to the states, a Jim Bowie model. First thing I did was cut off the tiny solid wheels and weld a new base on the frame with larger pneumatic tires. Damn, sorry, "tyres".

My two biggest frustrations about using the WSM in the UK were the extremely low-grade charcoal and the difference in cuts of meat. I ended up buying a case of Heat Beads, and taking a local butcher and thrashing him until he could produce a fairly acceptable pork butt.

Best of luck on your move back to the UK. This forum was like a breath of fresh air to me while I was living there.

Tom
lakemirror
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby JBBQ » 29 Feb 2016, 11:22

I always pick up lawrys when I travel to the US :D
Costco heavy duty catering foil is the only thing I use now!
Thermapen is a uk product/company you know?

By far the best thing in the US is being able to get most things all year round IMHO
JBBQ
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby PJ/BBQ » 12 Jun 2016, 14:43

We make our own sauce and marinade had to have friends bring back liquid smoke.
I always bring back seasoned salt as well as lemon pepper, both are a must have.
I also bring back those little basting mops, which are cheap in the US, I am originally from California so, there are things I require from time to time.
PJ/BBQ
Still Raw Inside
Still Raw Inside

Next

Return to Low 'n' Slow (Smoking)