Mobile bbq

A place to discuss low 'n' slow cooking, ask questions and share advice.

Re: Mobile bbq

Postby Vibe » 09 Nov 2015, 17:15

Ok so here is the shoulder
There is extra carcass going across this that I'll need to cut off and a fair bit of fat needing rimming off.

Here are the beef ribs
Vibe
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby gavinbbq » 09 Nov 2015, 19:48

Is the spine still attached?
It's a familiar site seeing that Meatmaster packaging.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
gavinbbq
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby Vibe » 09 Nov 2015, 20:54

I would guess it's the spine yeah. It's in the freezer now as not cooking it til Friday night.

Vibe
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby Vibe » 09 Nov 2015, 20:57

Gavin, quick question. You mentioned before you can go in the back walk in fridge, is this still the case as it didn't seem open for the public. Just the workers kept going back there. They only had 1 bad looking bone in shoulder so I asked if they had more and the guy went out there. I spoke to a mate so will be going again this time with more time to spend there and hopefully more money.

Vibe
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby gavinbbq » 10 Nov 2015, 06:19

Yeah the fridge at the back is definitely open to the public. I have been in there twice and the first time I went in was when I asked about whole briskets and he took me in there and I asked him if it was ok for me to go in there and he said that it was open to the public and that this is where the wholesale stuff was kept. Last time I went in there I was eyeing up whole sides of pork belly for cutting up some spare ribs. Need a bigger freezer at home though!

gavinbbq
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby essexsmoker » 10 Nov 2015, 09:59

To be honest that worries me, if everyone and there dog is allowed in there, who knows what is being trodden in?

I know everything is hanging but even so...
essexsmoker
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby gavinbbq » 10 Nov 2015, 10:34

It's a shop open to the public that also has a wholesale. Everything is packaged up in plastic boxes or vac sealed.

gavinbbq
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby QueFrescoPaul » 17 Nov 2015, 10:48

I do this all the time.

1. If you cook from raw you become hi risk in the eyes off environmental health so as a start up / hobby I'd avoid
2. Buy ready cooked pulled pork / pulled chicken / pulled beef. If you google "pulled pork suppliers UK" you'll come up with some options just make sure the meat you buy is fresh not frozen.
3. Dilute with BBQ sauce (or sauce of your choice) and you'll be at approx 60p per 100g serving. Add salad and your chosen carb (bread or wrap) and you'll be at approx £1.00 per serving. Sell for £4.00 a pop - more in the South.

I warm up in an offset smoker. Sometimes I just put coals in the bottom of the food chamber and it's the BBQ theatrical equivalent of a bain marie. 3 big aluminium trays each with 4Kg of pulled meat + sauce + onions etc and you can easy serve 150 before needing to replenish and there's still room in the smoker for an extra tray warming through the next batch.

You can buy a quality built offset smoker for under £2K although you'll need a van with a tail lift to move it about. Pick the right events and you'll have paid it back and more at the end of the season.

I've been doing this for a number of years now and once you've got the kit and sourced the right events it's a nice cash earner. If anyone wants more detailed advice I'm more than happy to help so long as you're not planning on doing it in Lancashire! :D
QueFrescoPaul
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby Deano » 17 Nov 2015, 14:59

gavinbbq wrote:Yeah the fridge at the back is definitely open to the public. I have been in there twice and the first time I went in was when I asked about whole briskets and he took me in there and I asked him if it was ok for me to go in there and he said that it was open to the public and that this is where the wholesale stuff was kept. Last time I went in there I was eyeing up whole sides of pork belly for cutting up some spare ribs. Need a bigger freezer at home though!

Yes, as Gavin says it is open to the public, I was a bit dubious when I went there too, but a Guy there invited me in, there's also a a room with a door at the back on the right with more stuff in, again it lamost looks as if you might not be allowed there, but you can!
Deano
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby essexsmoker » 18 Nov 2015, 10:16

QueFrescoPaul wrote:I do this all the time.

1. If you cook from raw you become hi risk in the eyes off environmental health so as a start up / hobby I'd avoid
2. Buy ready cooked pulled pork / pulled chicken / pulled beef. If you google "pulled pork suppliers UK" you'll come up with some options just make sure the meat you buy is fresh not frozen.
3. Dilute with BBQ sauce (or sauce of your choice) and you'll be at approx 60p per 100g serving. Add salad and your chosen carb (bread or wrap) and you'll be at approx £1.00 per serving. Sell for £4.00 a pop - more in the South.

I warm up in an offset smoker. Sometimes I just put coals in the bottom of the food chamber and it's the BBQ theatrical equivalent of a bain marie. 3 big aluminium trays each with 4Kg of pulled meat + sauce + onions etc and you can easy serve 150 before needing to replenish and there's still room in the smoker for an extra tray warming through the next batch.

You can buy a quality built offset smoker for under £2K although you'll need a van with a tail lift to move it about. Pick the right events and you'll have paid it back and more at the end of the season.

I've been doing this for a number of years now and once you've got the kit and sourced the right events it's a nice cash earner. If anyone wants more detailed advice I'm more than happy to help so long as you're not planning on doing it in Lancashire! :D

I'd love to do this but really want to produce my own food. Although if it helped make money so I could make my own later down the line...
I'm no where near you! [SMILING FACE WITH SMILING EYES]
essexsmoker
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

PreviousNext

Return to Low 'n' Slow (Smoking)