Home Built Cabinet Smoker

A place to discuss low 'n' slow cooking, ask questions and share advice.

Home Built Cabinet Smoker

Postby Flinny » 26 Oct 2015, 13:41

I'm going to use this as a build blog for my cabinet smoker. I am completely new to the smoking game so any help, advice, tips and critique is greatly received.

I am a design engineer so naturally I am never 100% happy with anything I buy and usually spend my time ripping things apart and modifying them, not always for the better though!! After spending many nights researching different smokers over the last few months I thought I would have a go at building one myself. As always seems the case with any of my home projects this started out small and simple and turned into a full blown engineering job!

After a lot of thought I have gone for a cabinet smoker, mainly so I can install it flush into a wall when I get onto my next big project, a house build. I am going for an all stainless steel construction so that this thing will last a lifetime, and it makes it exceptionally easy for me to modify in terms of welding new parts on and not worrying about painting the thing. My company builds stainless steel structures so we are fully set up for stainless production and fabrication which is a huge bonus.

This is the design I have gone for.....
-Stainless steel body in 4mm thick 304 grade
-Double wall construction to allow 25mm gap for insulating on all faces
-2 doors, one small lower door for the fire box and ash pan, one larger top door for the cooking area
-Removable water/drip pan
-Settable chimney flap
-2 firebox air vent dampers
-Cap to add water to water pan without opening the cooking area door
-4 cooking racks
-Hanging point in the top
-Door mounted Tel Tru 3" thermometer
-Points to add thermocouples and a blower, these will be blanked off for now

Got the main components for the fabrication completed last week, just the doors and cooking trays to cut and fold now..

The welder will be out this weekend...

Thanks for looking.

Mark
Flinny
Still Raw Inside
Still Raw Inside

Re: Home Built Cabinet Smoker

Postby Flinny » 02 Nov 2015, 18:00

Been busy with the TIG welder. The outer body is now mostly complete, there are just some brackets to weld on for hanging the internal panels off.

These are the 2 side internal panels, they are bolt in so can be easily removed. Also support the cooking shelves. The two holes align with holes in the outer body and are for the temperature probes.

Firebox and ash pan fully welded up, just need to source some expanded metal to drop into the bottom of the firebox.

Flinny
Still Raw Inside
Still Raw Inside

Postby essexsmoker » 03 Nov 2015, 13:53

That is exactly what I wanted to do. Just not in SS as it's silly money.

Looks good so far!

Is that a mkII mexico in the background?
essexsmoker
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby Flinny » 03 Nov 2015, 14:58

Thanks....I do not dare add up the price this would have been if I was no able to make these parts myself. Stainless is an expensive way to do it so I am hoping it will last a lifetime.

With my lack of knowledge in smoker design I have opted to go very heavy with the steel and get it well insulated to try and keep the temperature as stable as possible. I am hoping this will be a decent enough starting point.

That is my last project in the background :lol: . Mk2 RS2000 rally car, It was a 3 year job, loved every minute of it.
There is a build thread here if you are interested in her.... http://www.turbosport.co.uk/showthread.php?t=168914

Thanks again, Mark
Flinny
Still Raw Inside
Still Raw Inside

Postby essexsmoker » 04 Nov 2015, 13:27

Yes SS will last a lifetime. If you ever get bored of bbq you'll probably sell it fairly easy too if it works OK. And make a profit no doubt! Lol.
Have you estimated the value of the parts? I think I asked about 2m x 1m x 1mm sheet and it was £75! God knows how much 4mm is. Lol.

Had a quick nose at the car... I was going to get a duratech i4 i think it was for my car i had years ago. Fit throttle bodies and the like. I've heard of 800bhp out of a 2.5L. [SMILING FACE WITH SMILING EYES] think it needed a lot of servicing though. Lol.
essexsmoker
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby Flinny » 06 Nov 2015, 17:26

The 4mm stainless is about £350 a sheet for a 3x1.5m trade. I would think there is best part of £1000 in steel plus laser cutting which will be about £500.

I am in two minds about the insulation now. I have just read Aaron Franklin's Meat Smoking Manifesto and he points out too much insulation is a bad thing as having a very efficient fuel burn will result in a lack of smoke. It might be I just need to partially insulate it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Flinny
Still Raw Inside
Still Raw Inside

Postby wade » 06 Nov 2015, 18:10

Flinny wrote:I am in two minds about the insulation now. I have just read Aaron Franklin's Meat Smoking Manifesto and he points out too much insulation is a bad thing as having a very efficient fuel burn will result in a lack of smoke.

It is a fine balance. Not enough insulation and external factors will have more effect on the internal temperature and unless you use an automatic temperature regulator you will have to tend it more.

The heat and smoke are two different components. You can use a slow burning fuel for the heat (something like Heat Beads or other premium briquettes) and add either wood or pellets on top for the smoke. You could even use an AMNPS inside to add more smoke if required.
wade
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby Flinny » 06 Nov 2015, 19:32

Thank you for the info Wade. I know ultimately I will get some form of automatic temperature regulation for the smoker but I want to try and learn the ins and outs of it first.

I have not heard of AMNPS, do these just produce smoke?

I don't suppose there is anyway of measuring the amount smoke of smoke produced/required other than to cook meat is there?

Flinny
Still Raw Inside
Still Raw Inside

Postby Flinny » 12 Dec 2015, 20:28

I have not update this for a while but the smoker is pretty much complete.....

[img]http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/12/12/d192ef8a25bc92f7b22c8e751f5e4665.jpg[/img]

Gave it a really good high temperature run to season it....

[img]http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/12/12/33549f87de02b88b46e52cde61f3dcb7.jpg[/img]

[img]http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/12/12/bc4960bb0ead36920441428aeb3ed31c.jpg[/img]

Bought a Flameboss 200 to control the smoker, I was a bit sceptical about getting one of these because I was unsure that the fan would work on such a large cabinet but it seems fine. Put some pork loin on it last week with some cherry chunks.

[img]http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/12/12/52ce6752c07770a15d440ef7b1c5d814.jpg[/img]

[img]http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/12/12/c9ab7371f6b88d84cb6815a6780237d4.jpg[/img]

[img]http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/12/12/0fe168075b3a4871ee9571b167827141.jpg[/img]

[img]http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/12/12/86aa74f93eba442c468e074222513a7a.jpg[/img]

Pork was superb, honey and mustard to make the rub stick, the rub was lemon pepper, garlic, onion, salt and sugar.

Brisket tomorrow......

Flinny
Still Raw Inside
Still Raw Inside

Postby essexsmoker » 12 Dec 2015, 21:37

That is exactly the cooker I've always wanted to build, even down to the water top up pipe! Great job!
essexsmoker
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Next

Return to Low 'n' Slow (Smoking)