Pork Butt

A place to discuss low 'n' slow cooking, ask questions and share advice.

Pork Butt

Postby GingerBen » 30 Oct 2015, 15:13

Hi all,

got a 2.9kg (approx 6.5lb) pork shoulder from costco yesterday which I'm going to do pulled pork with for a Halloween party on Saturday evening.

Not cooked a butt this big before so just wanted to double check cooking times.

I was thinking 1.5 hours a lb meaning a 9 hour 45 min cook (call it 10). Plan is to eat at around 8pm so allowing an hour resting it wants to come off at 7 meaning it goes on at 9am. Plan is to smoke it on the GMG at 250f until IT hits 160f then wrap it, add some liquid and stick it in the oven at 225f until IT hits 200f.

That sound about right?
GingerBen
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Re: Pork Butt

Postby Tiny » 30 Oct 2015, 19:26

About right old chap, but on a big one I would give myself some leeway and start sooner, when it reaches internal temp you can wrap it some more in foil and towels and into a cool box and it will keep perfect for several hours. always happier to be done early than be staring at the internal temp thermo with an vexed ?Mrs Tiny asking "is it done yet?"

Cheers
Tiny
Tiny
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby GingerBen » 31 Oct 2015, 07:28

Cheers Tiny, that makes a lot of sense. I'll whack it on at 8am. Gives me an extra hour to play with which is no problem to hold it for if need be.

I'll let you know how it goes! Thanks
GingerBen
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby GingerBen » 02 Nov 2015, 09:23

So just for general information I did this cook on Saturday and for the first time I didn't wrap the pork butt, it smoked unwrapped for 11 hours before hitting 200f IT. It was spectacular! The bark from leaving it unwrapped was great and it still retained all the moisture inside that it needed to to make it lovely to eat. Unwrapped pork butt, the way forward! :)

I also used Dizzy Pig Dizzy Dust (coarse) for the first time and that tastes awesome. Applied with mustard 24 hours before cooking the pork. I also spritzed the pork every hour or so with a mix of apple juice, cider vinegar and Worcestershire sauce
GingerBen
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Return to Low 'n' Slow (Smoking)