My GMG Davy Crockett

A place to discuss low 'n' slow cooking, ask questions and share advice.

My GMG Davy Crockett

Postby Damo » 14 Nov 2015, 23:26

A bit late I know but I got a GMG Davy Crockett at the start of summer.

The thing is awesome. Even the missus has confidence to use it (just like an oven for her) and I've come home to some great smoked brisket after work :)

We also got an event shelter so it doesn't matter if it looks like rain.

One thing I've noticed is that the firebox needs a little hoovering to remove ash after use, otherwise it doesn't always start the next time- no problem, just something to remember. You can imagine the look the missus gave me when I got the Dyson out and stuck the hose in the GMG :lol:

In September we spent an afternoon at Tatton Park where they have a dedicated BBQ area. Lots of friends with children as well as our kids too of course. Just plugged the GMG power supply into the car and left the GMG running all afternoon so folk could chuck meat on whenever they wanted- ace.

Cant seem to upload images which is a shame.

Cheers,

Damo
Damo
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Re: My GMG Davy Crockett

Postby GingerBen » 16 Nov 2015, 10:35

They are very cool little grills. I have one too and use it at least but often twice a week. Did a butterflied leg of lamb on it on Saturday night which was immense. I'd upload a picture but it's a pain in the bum lol.

I'm toying with getting a bigger one now for larger cooks or maybe a Kamado Joe :)
GingerBen
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby Chris__M » 16 Nov 2015, 11:55

I haven't regretted buying mine - I'm using it more than my trusty old Traeger, which I have pretty much converted into a pizza/bread oven. Occasionally, I'll take the pizza stone out of the Traeger to use it as a grill - particularly if I have a larger gathering - but generally, the DC is more economical for my more regular use. Plus monitoring by WiFi is great.

I took it down to Devon this summer, and will be taking it to Cornwall next May. The people I holiday with love it, and it really isn't a hassle to transport by car. As I am generally moving it on my own, I do find it easier to remove the grates, drip-tray and deflector, and put them in a separate bag - it is then a very easy one-man carry.

Regarding the cleanup, I bought myself a Vacmaster wet/dry cleaner, that I now use for my grills and any other non-domestic jobs. Only 40 quid on ebay. It comes with a paper filter by default, which after a while will get clogged - it can be cleared by banging out; but for about another 10 quid you can get a polyester filter, which is washable. Mine lives in my BBQ shelter, so is always at hand.
Chris__M
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby essexsmoker » 20 Nov 2015, 10:55

Anyone know if GMG ever have any sales or specials? Ideally I'm after a DB.
essexsmoker
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby Tiny » 21 Nov 2015, 09:03

Hi
Anerican bbq co I believe are the only uk distributor so I think it most unlikely. I have heard tales of upgrades being given but no discounts, personally think my DB is worth every penny so I would suggest just going for it......
Cheers Tiny
Tiny
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby essexsmoker » 22 Nov 2015, 00:51

Yes i think ABBQ are the only ones. Sorry, yeah I meant them, not GMG themselves. plan on getting one, just wondering if they did deals. Anyone know what their opening days and hrs are. I couldn't see it on their website.
essexsmoker
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby Chris__M » 23 Nov 2015, 14:45

essexsmoker wrote:Anyone know what their opening days and hrs are. I couldn't see it on their website.

"We are not set up as a retail unit/shop, so unfortunately we're unable to welcome you to our premises without a prior appointment." - http://www.americanbbq.co.uk/Contact-Us.html

However, if you contact them, I am sure they will be helpful.
Chris__M
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby essexsmoker » 23 Nov 2015, 20:25

That's the page I looked at and there are no business hours. I was trying to call them at the weekend but no go. Rang them today just before lunch. Thanks anyway.
essexsmoker
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Return to Low 'n' Slow (Smoking)