Whole rib eye on the pellet grill

A place to discuss low 'n' slow cooking, ask questions and share advice.

Re: Whole rib eye on the pellet grill

Postby Tiny » 14 Dec 2015, 16:31

GB,
£100? Shave my tall Christmas hat!, but I suppose that's £12.50 a pound is reasonable for decent rib eye, so not the end of the world.

I like the fruitwood blend but usually use it for poultry or fish, I like the hickory gold blend for pork and didn't rate the texas oak at all.....its deflagration rate was that of brassieres at a feminist protest rally, and frankly didn't do the big oak thing for me......I have the cherry and mesquite single malt as it were and both are very good but even the mesquite isn't heavy enough for my taste with brisket.....I shall try the oak single wood next year but Mrs Tiny is still not too wild about the pellets I have in the dining room........good luck with Dr Beef......
Cheers Tiny
Tiny
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby GingerBen » 05 Jan 2016, 10:54

Hi all,

This cook went very well indeed I'm pleased to say. so much so that all the family said buy a bigger bit of beef next year and don't bother with turkey at all! :D

Cooked it on the GMG at 225 for around 2 and a half hours until IT hit 125f. Rested it under lose foil and carved once IT started to drop, it hit 129f max before dropping. Plain and simple the best beef I have ever cooked and eaten. Thanks for the help and advice on here it all helped a lot.
GingerBen
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby JBBQ » 05 Jan 2016, 13:14

Completely agree with Tiny on the pellets - also tried a number of single malts and they didn't give me the same great results as Gold and Fruit

Great news on the beef Ben - the lamb I cook on the GMG has made me never roast it on the "indoor oven" again!
JBBQ
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby Tiny » 05 Jan 2016, 18:01

Ben
This is excellent news indeed, I thought with the mix of good sourced beef and the pellet related wizadry of the GMG it would be great. I did an Gammon over Cherry - Glazed with pomegranate molasses, smoked paprika and Demerara sugar....then the Christmas turkey crown again over cherry and this was just jaw droppingly moist and not too smokey then rounded off with a whole 13lb packer cut brisket over mesquite, this dried out a little but happy with the flavour profile.

I know others may savage me, but when I see posts about a ceramic cooker with pit controller I sort of shake my head and think - you could have a GMG for half the cost and it would be at least as good, I know I am one eyed, or in fact blind if you will, but greatest BBQ ever imho,

The only other adjustment I would have made to your recipe would be to not invite guests, my brisket did 4 with some leftovers....for me ! :)

Cheers Tiny
Tiny
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby GingerBen » 07 Jan 2016, 13:29

That packer sounds immense, where did you get it from?

I know what you mean about the kamados they are expensive but I want one badly! lol. Really want to be able to do pizzas on it as well as the usual array of other stuff.
GingerBen
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby JBBQ » 07 Jan 2016, 15:07

Hey ben I do pizza on the GMG all the time - temperature to max, pizza stone, "wood fired pizza"

I tested on an ozzy one first
http://www.tomhixson.co.uk/beef/cuts/brisket-41.html
But Ozzy and USDA are so different to UK

http://www.turnerandgeorge.co.uk/the-cu ... isket.html
is popular too
JBBQ
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby Tiny » 07 Jan 2016, 19:34

Ben,
I know this may sound a touch gloaty......I have an little butchers in Drayton called shepherd family butchers......I called them on Tuesday before Christmas..."any chance you can get me a whole flat brisket?" the reply "Packer cut? both flat and point? what sort of size animal do you want it from?"

They are top blokes, only criticism I could offer is it was a touch lean.....but the brisket pie last night in an thick onion gravy was rather good and I am about to dive into an brisket chilli, and there is another mealsworth in the freezer so it wasn't as dry as I feared it had become......Cheers Tiny
Tiny
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby GingerBen » 08 Jan 2016, 09:43

JBBQ wrote:Hey ben I do pizza on the GMG all the time - temperature to max, pizza stone, "wood fired pizza"

I tested on an ozzy one first
http://www.tomhixson.co.uk/beef/cuts/brisket-41.html
But Ozzy and USDA are so different to UK

http://www.turnerandgeorge.co.uk/the-cu ... isket.html
is popular too

Thanks JBBQ I'm familiar with Tom Hixson, got my rib eye from them for Xmas. Will try the pizza on the GMG and see how it goes!
GingerBen
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby GingerBen » 08 Jan 2016, 09:44

Tiny wrote:Ben,
I know this may sound a touch gloaty......I have an little butchers in Drayton called shepherd family butchers......I called them on Tuesday before Christmas..."any chance you can get me a whole flat brisket?" the reply "Packer cut? both flat and point? what sort of size animal do you want it from?"

They are top blokes, only criticism I could offer is it was a touch lean.....but the brisket pie last night in an thick onion gravy was rather good and I am about to dive into an brisket chilli, and there is another mealsworth in the freezer so it wasn't as dry as I feared it had become......Cheers Tiny

Sounds good, got some good butchers near me but they are all farm shop butchers so tend to be quite pricey. Meat is excellent mind you so its swings and round things.
GingerBen
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby essexsmoker » 01 Feb 2016, 13:35

Personally I'd say with most other meats it's not so important to get quality as pork and lamb tend to be fatty anyway. However, IMO beef is a totally different game, where quality and fat is everything.
essexsmoker
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

PreviousNext

Return to Low 'n' Slow (Smoking)