Fuel For Snake Method

A place to discuss low 'n' slow cooking, ask questions and share advice.

Fuel For Snake Method

Postby yorkshirebri » 27 Jan 2016, 18:02

Hi All I'm new here and this is my first post :D

Moved house last year and finally after a few years in the waiting I have my own outdoor space where I intend to get creative with the BBQ.

One question, looking at the snake mothod of cooking. Would you guys have any pointers on the type of fuel to use? I've always steered away from briquettes but wondering if the longer burning will lend its self to this type of cooking.

Advice much appreciated

Thanks
yorkshirebri
Still Raw Inside
Still Raw Inside

Re: Fuel For Snake Method

Postby BraaiMeesterWannabe » 29 Jan 2016, 18:37

Welcome.

There are a few threads on here about different methods for long cooks. Tried snake once but didn't work for me. I prefer minion. Could be down to the shape and size of the WSM I have but I find minion just works for me.

Also a lot of threads on different types of coal. I have used lump a couple of times for 4hr cooks but find temp regulation harder than with briquettes. As a result I've not really persevered with lump on low and slow.

I have used a lot of different briquettes and found Aussie Heat Beads to be the best of the bunch. No acrid unnatural smells and keep a good long steady burn. Got 14 hour cook from one basket a couple weeks back and reckon I would have had a few more hours on top if I'd needed.

The thing is to read up, listen to advice and try stuff you like the sound of. You'll end up working out what works best for you and your smoker.

Most importantly, enjoy the experimenting....let the fun begin :P
BraaiMeesterWannabe
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby essexsmoker » 29 Jan 2016, 20:38

What unit do you have? I always use lump but I have a UDS which has great air control.
For the fuse I would use briquettes, weber or heat beads will do. Just stay away from cheap ones and easy lighting.

Let us know how you get on.
essexsmoker
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby yorkshirebri » 30 Jan 2016, 21:10

I have a weber one touch 57cm. Seen a few try the low n slow method on these so hoping I can make it work. I'll take a look at the heat beads also seen them mentioned a lot. I'm intending a dry run tomorrow just so see how the heat works out, have invested I a thermometer too. Will see how that goes and let you know.
yorkshirebri
Still Raw Inside
Still Raw Inside

Postby essexsmoker » 03 Feb 2016, 09:17

I have done the snake in a OTP and it worked well. Think I got about 6hrs and there was probably about another hour left.
I used weber briqs.

Temp was fairly stable. Have you scaled your air vents? I have marks on my OTP for open, half, quarter, etc. That will give you a good idea of where you need to be with the vents for the right temp.

You only need to light about 6 briqs to get enough heat.

Hope that helps.

Always good to do a dry run first without food on. :)
essexsmoker
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby Deano » 03 Feb 2016, 12:47

I use the snake method using briquettes with my OTP, works great. As Essexsmoker says it's a good idea to mark the lower vent so you have some idea of the opening.
Deano
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby Burnt2acrisp » 03 Feb 2016, 21:40

I've also had a reasonable amount of success on the OTP with the snake method. I too use briquettes and I stack them in a brick-bond style, to try and help keep them catching.

Cheers.
Burnt2acrisp
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby paulfire » 04 Mar 2016, 10:57

Why not try a combination of heat beads and good grade lump, I was forced to use left overs and got roughly 6 hours at a good constant temperature so I regularly mix them now. I think that as long as you use good quality fuel it works ok. Same goes for the BBQ itself, get the best you can and enjoy the results

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
paulfire
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby scotthay » 04 Mar 2016, 13:40

Anyone tried the Weber premium long lasting briquettes?

I've got my first long brisket cook coming up next weekend and doing trial tomorrow. I've got head beads on order but not sure they'll arrive in time. I was thinking of laying out some unlit Webers and dumping some lit Big K lumpwood on top to get it going.

Any thoughts?
scotthay
Still Raw Inside
Still Raw Inside

Postby BraaiMeesterWannabe » 06 Mar 2016, 22:52

Weber are good imo
BraaiMeesterWannabe
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Next

Return to Low 'n' Slow (Smoking)