Selling WSM to buy a GMG, am I mad?

A place to discuss low 'n' slow cooking, ask questions and share advice.

Re: Selling WSM to buy a GMG, am I mad?

Postby JBBQ » 29 Feb 2016, 17:06

I just use the app on the phone - not sure I have had a pellet alarm on it though
JBBQ
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby Mj2k » 01 Mar 2016, 07:58

Looking at the app instructions, it would suggest there is an alarm. Will therefore stick with my trusted Maverick and an iOS device.
Mj2k
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby Chris__M » 01 Mar 2016, 14:24

Tiny wrote:Currently it is local based on you logging on to the wifi of the unit, but there is talk of the "control from office2" option

If the WiFi of the JB and DB are similar to the DC, then the default WiFi is local to the unit, as you say, but there is already the additional availability of connection over your local network. The only requirement is that your tablet phone is connecting to a WiFi point with the same name as the WiFi point that the grill is connected to.

If this sounds confusing, there are currently 3 ways to use it.

1) Your phone/tablet connects to the grill itself as an AP. So while connected, you have no connection to the outside world at all.

2) You set your grill to connect to a WiFi point within range; your phone/tablet connects to the same WiFi point.

3) You set your grill to connect to a WiFi point within range; your phone/tablet connects to a different WiFi point on the same network, provided both WiFi points have the same SSID.

I use (3) all the time, which allows me to monitor a grill at the end of my garden, from my home office, in the front of my house.

Folk have managed other tricks using port forwarding or VPN and such to gain access from further afield, but as I understand it, the above are the 3 official options at present.

There is a plan for the grill to log onto a GMG server, and for you to connect via that from anywhere, but as far as I know, that isn't being implemented yet. Indeed, it is a long time since I have even heard about that, so it may be off the cards.
Chris__M
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby Mj2k » 01 Mar 2016, 19:45

Chris__M wrote:
Tiny wrote:Currently it is local based on you logging on to the wifi of the unit, but there is talk of the "control from office2" option

If the WiFi of the JB and DB are similar to the DC, then the default WiFi is local to the unit, as you say, but there is already the additional availability of connection over your local network. The only requirement is that your tablet phone is connecting to a WiFi point with the same name as the WiFi point that the grill is connected to.

If this sounds confusing, there are currently 3 ways to use it.

1) Your phone/tablet connects to the grill itself as an AP. So while connected, you have no connection to the outside world at all.

2) You set your grill to connect to a WiFi point within range; your phone/tablet connects to the same WiFi point.

3) You set your grill to connect to a WiFi point within range; your phone/tablet connects to a different WiFi point on the same network, provided both WiFi points have the same SSID.

I use (3) all the time, which allows me to monitor a grill at the end of my garden, from my home office, in the front of my house.

Folk have managed other tricks using port forwarding or VPN and such to gain access from further afield, but as I understand it, the above are the 3 official options at present.

There is a plan for the grill to log onto a GMG server, and for you to connect via that from anywhere, but as far as I know, that isn't being implemented yet. Indeed, it is a long time since I have even heard about that, so it may be off the cards.

Very interesting, and simply put, thank you.

Still bouncing between the medium & large grills, followed by a 'how much!?' moment questioning my sanity in spending that much on something to live outside (trying to get the car back into the garage currently, as over run with BBQ stuff).

Perhaps I'm just too tight for this hobby!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Mj2k
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby essexsmoker » 02 Mar 2016, 11:33

They are a lot of money. Buy what you need. Necessity is the mother of invention, you'll work around it. To me the amount you gain for the money the bigger unit isn't worth it. And you can add extra shelves.

On ghe flip side, bg the time you sell your wsm it will be cheaper... personally I'd get the DB and buy loads of meat.
essexsmoker
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby Chris__M » 02 Mar 2016, 11:34

If I can suggest an off the wall suggestion.

I started off with a Traeger Lil Tex, which is roughly the size of the DB. This was more than enough for most of my needs, except perhaps for a board-game event I host once a month, where I was getting up to 16-18 people attending. Even then, it was still manageable, if we were all eating the same, but when people started bringing stuff to put on the BBQ, it got a bit crowded and I was leaning towards replacing it with a bigger grill - the JB, in fact.

What I ended up doing was keeping my Lil Tex, and buying the small portable DC as well.

What this gives me:

For regular daily use, the DC is all I need, and it is economical on pellets.
For larger groups, the Lil Tex is still a good grill to have, despite not having some of the bells and whistles.
For larger groups still, I have both grills going, for greater grill area, plus I can have two different heat settings.
PLUS the DC is portable and will run off a car battery, which means I get to take it on holiday with me.

So here is the suggestion. For now, just buy the DB, and see how you get along. If you find you need more grill space (which I doubt), then simply buy a DC. The combined cost of a DB + DC is about 70 quid more than just buying the JB, but you get greater flexibility, a portable grill, and the opportunity to spread the cost a bit; and it may turn out that the DB does all you need, and you won't need to spend the extra cash!
Chris__M
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby Mj2k » 02 Mar 2016, 14:48

Think you have nailed it Chris, nice work - hadn't even thought about it in that way & makes great sense.

Love the idea of a DC to take places, but both my wife & I have 2 seater cars and zero kids, so it wouldn't travel anywhere!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mj2k
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby Mj2k » 02 Mar 2016, 21:33

Having now read a lot of the US forums on the GMG, I've having second thoughts....

I know forums are either hugely supportive or negative on products, but the temperature variances seem to concern me more than they possibly should.

I can afford / financially justify (man maths!) a yoder 480 / a larger yoder unit....but is it worth the extra? They look phenomenal, but £1,400 plus vat on a smoker that requires the extras that come for free if buying in the US just seems madness....although I've had a very tough 2 years work wise, and feel the need to treat myself (40th birthday this year), but I'm putting a third of the cost of a decent watch into a smoker & something seems wrong there!

I'm a frustrated wannabe BBQ restaurant/van owner - I've been lucky in my chosen career, but still dream about owning a restaurant, as a lot of the food I've tasted is (in my friends & families opinion, and mine!) below my own creation (I know I've not tried to scale up production, and the challenges).

Having run the financials, there is very little chance of it working out to be near current earnings & equally, would I enjoy it as much if I 'had to' do this everyday??

I can however buy something for my own pleasure & have it as something that makes corporate life worthwhile. Realise this has now moved into a mid life crisis counselling session!!

Thank you

Matt

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Mj2k
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby tommo666 » 03 Mar 2016, 07:27

GMG aren't the only option, there are some pellet grills on this site: http://www.gardengiftshop.co.uk/acatalo ... okers.html as well as kettles, ceramics etc.
tommo666
Twisted Firestarter
Twisted Firestarter

Postby CueBall » 03 Mar 2016, 13:00

I've had the DB for nearly two years now and wish I'd done some more research on alternatives before pulling the trigger. If given the choice now, I'd spent more and try to get a MAK Grills 2 Star or Yoder YS480 shipped here.

I've experienced a few of the common problems, uneven temps from left to right, soot on food and the grill always runs between 20 - 30 hotter than set on the controller. The other problem is that it's started to rust in a few different places despite being kept under the cover since it was purchased. I really expected better quality seeing as it cost around £700 at the time.

Despite this I've turned out some good food and it makes overnight cooks much easier than on the Pro-Q. Also, Darren at American BBQ was very helpful in trying to get the problem fixed (he even offered to visit me at home for some testing). Got sent replacement controllers and a thermal sensor but unfortunely none of them fixed the temp issue. I ended up getting sick of wasting pellets by testing new parts and decided to live with it. I just use my maverick to monitor grill temps and adjust accordingly and move food around the grill occasionaly to even out.

With regard to size, the DB is more than enough for me, although I kept hold of the Pro-Q to use in tandem for larger cooks (and for when I want a more smokey flavour).
CueBall
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

PreviousNext

Return to Low 'n' Slow (Smoking)