Chronicles of my first UDS

A place to discuss low 'n' slow cooking, ask questions and share advice.

Chronicles of my first UDS

Postby Jamhops » 24 May 2016, 22:52

So I decided to build a UDS as an cost effective foray into smoking so this may all be wrong but it's a learning experience.

The drum was off eBay (£20 unlined if anyone in Hampshire/Sussex is looking let me know as they have more) and doing it again I would pay £50 for another one as burning, wire brush etc takes a lot longer then I hoped...

I drilled 2 holes fitting the 22mm tank connector

I don't know if my drum has a super strong lining but the flames were massive but it was still am effort to strip, it may be the fire was too high in the drum quite quickly. I did try and force the temperature up and it did go red hot and melt the pipe.

I foolishly put the fire out with water when it was still hot it caused rust to flare up, wasn't an issue really as it was being stripped anyway but a better option is to block the holes and wait.

I got it partially stripped in the photo the bottom 1/3 was the most difficult the rest was 25% of the effort.

Coat 1 of VHT spray paint a lesson I learn is don't be too liberal with the oil or it will get through any holes and stain the paint job :(

Coat 2 with the tank connectors it's a bit patchy but I can live with it... Already going to be 3 cans of spray paint so don't want anymore!

I fitted a racking system so I can change the height and number of shelves and I have some shelves that meet in the middle I hope might be used to hang meat in the future (just maybe).

Stripping them wasn't too bad (I am a pro now) but was a few hours.

I used rivets to attach the rack (with an o ring on the outside) that might be a mistake but I hope it isn't as I think it looks pretty good! Let me know if it is :)

I used a tank connector as I picked up 22mm ball valves for £1 so it went from there it will stick out more but that's ok :) on that though I know people have caps to block the rain, can I just put a 90/18 degree bend after the ball valve to stop the rain getting in?

So that's it so far need to get a washing machine drum next does anyone know the 'capacity' washing machine for the right size drum?

The bottom has some rust where this won't be seen is there a stronger coating I can put on that will withstand heat and rust?

Finally (for now) attaching wheels, can I just rivet them onto the bottom panel or will that cause weakness (I have seen very few unsupported online)?

Thanks for your time,

Any feedback or improvements will help

Ben

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Jamhops
Still Raw Inside
Still Raw Inside

Re: Chronicles of my first UDS

Postby essexsmoker » 25 May 2016, 09:50

Good looking drum! Can you weld? I would try and weld a plate to the edge of the drum, I think the centre is too flimsy. Failing that bolt a little trolly together somehow? I assume you plan on vertical vents? I don't think a tiny bit of rain will matter and it will just hit the floor not the fire, then evaporate. Save topping up the water bowl! Lol.
essexsmoker
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby Jamhops » 25 May 2016, 19:20

essexsmoker wrote:Good looking drum! Can you weld? I would try and weld a plate to the edge of the drum, I think the centre is too flimsy. Failing that bolt a little trolly together somehow? I assume you plan on vertical vents? I don't think a tiny bit of rain will matter and it will just hit the floor not the fire, then evaporate. Save topping up the water bowl! Lol.

I can't weld but due to this project I am getting a MIG so may wait until I have that... Maybe just keep it on a couple strips of 2x4 it won't be hot enough to ignite will it?

Vertical vents is the plan, due to the tank connector I am not sure how far away from the drum they will be though!

Regarding rain I meant more that I will be storing it outside and though I plan on covering it... That won't be practical after a cook (or when I forget). people seem to cap them to stop water sat in the top of the ball valve while not in use, may be easiest to leave it as is and see how it goes.

I just want it done now and forgot about more paint stripping I need to do on the shelf brackets!
Jamhops
Still Raw Inside
Still Raw Inside

Postby essexsmoker » 27 May 2016, 20:47

I stand mine on bricks. Don't think it would burn heavy timber though.

I'd think that would stick out quite a way.

Oh, I see. I'd fit caps then. Lot of eork to just rust away in a season.
Buy a cheap kettle bbq cover from argos, fits fine.

Yes, gets a drag after a while doesn't it.
essexsmoker
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby Jamhops » 31 May 2016, 19:10

So first cook done it was a bit too dry and chrispy on one of the ribs as the temperature was way too high and was a fight to get it back down (I got it there in the end)

I think the temperature was uncontrollable as even when I cut off the air without a chimney the air shot through the hole in the top. So I made a beer can chimney and I actually quite like it :)

Chicken was very good,
[img]http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160531/e6106f364e6e43e49e4d7af8fcdf5b79.jpg[/img]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Jamhops
Still Raw Inside
Still Raw Inside

Postby essexsmoker » 08 Jun 2016, 20:25

It needs a bit of practice with a new unit. You're supposed to do it without food on, but I couldn't resist either.
essexsmoker
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby PyroBoris » 17 Jun 2016, 11:07

Love the adjustable rack system!
PyroBoris
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby ScottishSmoker » 18 Jun 2016, 09:31

Looks good and I like the adjustable shelve brackets!

I just build my UDS too and was trying to upload photo's but his didn't work for me, how did you manage?

Cheers,
Bjorn
ScottishSmoker
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Return to Low 'n' Slow (Smoking)