BBQ Guru's

A place to discuss low 'n' slow cooking, ask questions and share advice.

Re: BBQ Guru's

Postby Steve » 04 Feb 2011, 17:57

OK I get you, I agree I wouldn't run a power cable from the house overnight either. I would have suggested having a couple of external sockets put in place but as you've said that you want portability then there'd be no point.

I think you're just going to have to shop around to find the right kit, I'm sure there's a solution out there.
Steve
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Swindon_Ed » 04 Feb 2011, 20:27

To be fair Al, the stoker isn't so i can get more sleep, it's so i can hang out without the worry. :twisted:
Swindon_Ed

Postby Steve » 04 Feb 2011, 23:32

I've got a couple of circuits planned out that could act as a guru or a controller for a pellet pooper. You can get IC's that control thermocouples for you fan/auger control is easy and you can get a sweet arm based touch screen reference board for your UI. Add a bit of software and voila one homemade stoker.

I'm not too great on the electronics side but the embedded software bit is my bag.
Steve
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby All Weather Griller » 05 Feb 2011, 14:12

Does anyone know if Grillstock is still strictly no overnight camping on the cook site?
All Weather Griller

Postby Swindon_Ed » 05 Feb 2011, 16:46

Hi Adie,

Unless they change the location i think it will always have to remain a non camping event. I'm not sure what your knowlage of Bristol is like, but the harbourside is also the location of a lot of the main bars and that area can turn into a bit of a war Zone on a Saturday night which Bristol council is well aware so i'd be very suprised if they ever allowed a change to this as i'd expect a lot of hassel if a load of drunk students get wind of bbq food cooking at 3am.
Swindon_Ed

Postby All Weather Griller » 05 Feb 2011, 16:56

I have done a few jobs for Lloyds TSB in that area but as you can imagine this has only ever been during the working day with suited and booted types jollying around. From your description of the location I doubt it's the type of place I'd want my Jambo going LOL.
All Weather Griller

Postby Swindon_Ed » 05 Feb 2011, 17:45

Don't get me wrong the area will be great for the daytime event and a great for people visiting. Things will be safe if locked up over night but if people are about cooking it could cause problem's.
Swindon_Ed

Postby All Weather Griller » 05 Feb 2011, 18:31

Yeah, I definitely don't want to be leaving the Jambo out. Plus we like to camp by our cooksite and make it a family event. I saw the pics from last year and it looked a really busy event. I think like you say it's ideal for daytime stuff but the Pitmasters style of competing is more our thing.

The down side for us is that almost... in fact no, all BBQ events are southern based so we are taking a hit with fuel at every event, we usually need two cars, and to bring the family we need to have our own accommodation (Caravan) so I think after this year we'll be evaluating which events we want to do and just go for those.
All Weather Griller

Postby Swindon_Ed » 05 Feb 2011, 19:51

Where they're limiting the time you can cook each day, this will have it's own challenges as they still expect pork butt cooked :shock:

Guess i'll have to start doing some hot run's, i know they leave 9hrs for it but i'd like to see if i can get one cooked in 6hrs. does anyone know if i can get it done at this time and what temp's i'll be needing to cook at.
Swindon_Ed

Postby All Weather Griller » 05 Feb 2011, 20:01

Hot n fast do it in 6, they're cooking at 350*f I think it should be fine Ed. Like you say the practice is the key.
All Weather Griller

PreviousNext

Return to Low 'n' Slow (Smoking)