BBQ Guru's

A place to discuss low 'n' slow cooking, ask questions and share advice.

BBQ Guru's

Postby Swindon_Ed » 31 Jan 2011, 21:06

Hi all,

I've decided i'm going to buy myself a BBQ Guru so i can be more precise with my temp's but i've got a question about them and was wondering if anyone on here has got any experience with these?

From what i understand these things are mains powered. Could a hook it up to a car battery setup to make it more portable or can anyone else make a suggestion on what else could be done as i don't really want to run an extention cable from my house over night.

Also will i have any problems with voltage with it? will i need to get a power converter ect?

Thanks,
Swindon_Ed

Re: BBQ Guru's

Postby Steve » 31 Jan 2011, 21:26

If I were you I'd take a look at the Stoker as well. Personally I think they are a lot better than the Gurus. I know the stoker is a DC supply, I suspect the Guru will be too. The converter you get will be 110V but you'll just be able to use a multi adapter in its place.

I'd be pretty sure you can lash up a battery power system for it but you'll have to see how hungry it is on the juice.
Steve
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby All Weather Griller » 31 Jan 2011, 21:35

Stoker would be my preference!

In fact I think once my Jambo is here safe and sound and I've finished licking my wounds from that the Stoker will be the next big purchase.

Btw, Jambo paint job is complete, just needs clearing (Laquering). Updates will be on FB later.
All Weather Griller

Postby joker smoker » 31 Jan 2011, 23:00

my stokers are en route from Cali so I'll give y'all a review soon as I can
joker smoker
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby Swindon_Ed » 01 Feb 2011, 10:36

I've spent quite a while looking at both the Guru & the Stoker.

I'm only looking for one of these for the basic function of controling the pit temp's so i thought i'd save some money with the Guru, or and i missing a trick in what the stoker has to offer?
Swindon_Ed

Postby Swindon_Ed » 03 Feb 2011, 18:32

I've emailed Rock's and will see what they're saying, as they say i need the 10cm fan which isn't in one of their normal bundles.

John, did you get them to switch them or are you ok with the 5cm fan?
Swindon_Ed

Postby Swindon_Ed » 04 Feb 2011, 13:51

Ok, Stoker is ordered. 2-3 week wait for delivery :(

Looking to get all the other parts sorted, so when it arrives i can get cooking straight away.

So I'm looking at wireless bridges & acess points, can anyone recomend a good one for it? I use an Apple Airport Express with my home cinema kit, but a cheaper one would be good ;)

Also would i be able to power a AP or WB through the network port on the Stoker with POE injectors or will i need to plug this into the jump pack aswell?

Any help with this would be greatly appriciated.

Thanks,

Ed
Swindon_Ed

Postby Steve » 04 Feb 2011, 15:20

TP-Link make some great routers and access points that are really cheap. http://www.tp-link.com/uk/

As for powering them you're going to do some more research to see what you can do. Any reason you can't run them off the mains. From power supply in your shed or something?
Steve
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Swindon_Ed » 04 Feb 2011, 15:20

Nice try Al. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Swindon_Ed

Postby Swindon_Ed » 04 Feb 2011, 15:29

Hi Steve,

Sadly no shed, and only way to power will be with an extention cord from the kitchen :(

I've found an AP/WB which runs of mains or POE for £35 so i might just buy that and see if it works otherwise i'll just get a jump pack with enough plug sockets on it. But i'll have a look at the link you've posted to see if they do anything simillar.

My main reason for wanting it to be this portable, is more for the competitions. As i'll be at Mayhem in May (i know Toby can provide power if needed) and i'm also going to do Grillstock (not sure of the power situation for that event).
Swindon_Ed

Next

Return to Low 'n' Slow (Smoking)