Brisket

A place to discuss low 'n' slow cooking, ask questions and share advice.

Re: Brisket

Postby essexsmoker » 21 Jun 2016, 09:21

Kickback wrote:Good again took a bit longer than expect - about 22 hours. Good smoke ring at the top tender and not dry. Was my first time having brisket so not really anything to compare it too but I'd certainly do it again. Enjoyed the burnt ends from the point the most - fatty but very tasty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Glad to hear it.

How did you cook it? Did you foil? How long did you smoke?

I did about 5hrs then foiled. I thought mine was a bit dry.

Maybe I'm expecting too much? Lol.
essexsmoker
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby Kickback » 21 Jun 2016, 18:42

I did the Texas brisket rub from amazing ribs and injected with beef stock 24 hours before cooking.

I started at 190 for about 8 hours to get a lot of smoke using hickory and cheery (3 chunks of each). Had meant to only do 4 or 5 hours at 190 before moving up the temperature but thought it was cooking faster than expected and I didn't want it done too early so left it for about 8 hours at that low temp. That was a mistake I should have stuck to the plan and moved to 225 after 4or5 hours. Anyway went to 225 after 8 hours. Pushed it up abit after another 6 hours to around 250. Wrapped after another 6 hours and it was done 2 hours later. Put point back on for another hour. Verdict - everyone loved it and it was tender and moist but we'd never had proper brisket before so don't have anything to compare it to. Will definitely do it again. Reheats in sandwiches really well (lots of jealous people at work). Having Thai chilli with it tonight and if enough left a babimbap type Korean dish tomorrow.

Would buy the same cut from Tom hixson again next time I do it.

Kickback
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby essexsmoker » 22 Jun 2016, 12:39

Hmmm.
Just rotten luck and got an extra lean bit I guess.

I smoked at 225 for 5hrs, then foiled and in the oven at 225 till IT was 203. Then left it in the oven wrapped in the foil and juices for about 4hrs till I got up.

It cut well and was soft, although not jiggly soft, but seemed a bit dry to me.
I know brisket dries out quickly anyway. When squeezed there was some juice, but seemed dry.
I've never had it before from anyone else, so have nothing to compare to. Maybe I'm just expecting too much?

All you ever see on the net is people squeezing a wedge of fat and calling it juicy, or after its been ladeld with jus.
Or, competition bisket that have been injected with tenderisers and are often wagyu anyway.
essexsmoker
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby Kickback » 22 Jun 2016, 12:57

The above certainly doesn't sound like a disaster. I've not seen it but people talk of turning brisket to biscuit and doesn't sound like you or I did that. The Thai chilli my wife did with some left overs went really well so it reheats well and will do a good few days meals offsetting the initial cost.

I'm going to do it again in a couple of months I expect.

Kickback
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby essexsmoker » 23 Jun 2016, 13:40

I have a USDA in the freezer, so I'm hoping for better results from that. If that turns to poo , then I'll have to look at what I'm doing wrong.
essexsmoker
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby GingerBen » 24 Jun 2016, 13:04

essexsmoker wrote:I have a USDA in the freezer, so I'm hoping for better results from that. If that turns to poo , then I'll have to look at what I'm doing wrong.

If it turns to poo you need to have a serious look at your technique.... :shock:

I have a TH USDA in the freezer too, never done one before but cracking it out in a couple of week for a birthday bash so hoping for good things. Let us know how yours comes out if you do it sooner and I'll do the same if I cook mine first.
GingerBen
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby essexsmoker » 27 Jun 2016, 09:15

Will do. :)

Funny thing is I did a Makro cheapy flat over a year ago now probably and it came out well. Because I knew it was cheap and fairly lean I took the necessary precautions.
essexsmoker
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Previous

Return to Low 'n' Slow (Smoking)