UDS Fire Basket...

A place to discuss low 'n' slow cooking, ask questions and share advice.

UDS Fire Basket...

Postby bigflem » 31 May 2016, 13:57

I've acquired a couple of drums, to make my first UDS this summer...

I'm happy with stripping paint and the rest of the build.

I have 2 pro q frontiers, I was just wondering if the fire baskets are any good for the uds? Saves me buying materials etc etc.. My only concern is maybe they're too shallow for a UDS? Other idea I got was a shopping basket??? :?
bigflem
Still Raw Inside
Still Raw Inside

Re: UDS Fire Basket...

Postby Jamhops » 01 Jun 2016, 20:08

Not sure a basket will fit and holes may be to big but I used a washing machine drum and it worked great! (And is free)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Jamhops
Still Raw Inside
Still Raw Inside

Postby C.smith10 » 02 Jun 2016, 07:52

I've just finished building my first UDS and went down the washing machine drum route too, there's plenty available on eBay for around £20 or you can find a free broken washing machine locally and set to hacking it up. Hopefully I'll get my first cook done this weekend!
C.smith10
Still Raw Inside
Still Raw Inside

Postby bigflem » 02 Jun 2016, 10:30

Thanks, there's a scrap yard near me, will probably have a wander down this weekend and have a look for a washing machine drum.

Did you guys drill 1 inch holes for your 3/4 inch intakes? Just had my barrels shot blasted, starting the drilling and what not this weekend.
bigflem
Still Raw Inside
Still Raw Inside

Postby C.smith10 » 02 Jun 2016, 11:53

Not much help but I went for 4 1/2 inch intakes as I already had a couple of ball valves floating about. So I have 2 I can block off completely and 2 controlled by ball valves.
I used a metric step drill and just kept checking after each step until I got a snug fit.
C.smith10
Still Raw Inside
Still Raw Inside

Return to Low 'n' Slow (Smoking)