Tom Hixson Aussie brisket vs USDA

A place to discuss low 'n' slow cooking, ask questions and share advice.

Tom Hixson Aussie brisket vs USDA

Postby Pompey Dinlo » 13 Jun 2016, 20:10

Has anyone compared the two? I've had reasonable success with the Aussie but yet to try the American. I know the USDA is more expensive but I can get a good wholesale price which may be worth the extra if it comes close to what I ate in Texas.
Pompey Dinlo
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Re: Tom Hixson Aussie brisket vs USDA

Postby sleepybones » 14 Jun 2016, 14:17

Did you order online or face to face?

I went to Smithfields for the first time last Friday morning and picked up a USDA Choice Packer from their shop (my first ever proper one). Was 7.5kg and cost me about £55 but, according to the guys there the price is a little higher than usual due to the increased demand presently from 'Grillstock' competitors etc.

I looked at the aussie one for comparison, but the USDA looked alot better imho.

Just about got it in my fridge, planning to do an overnighter on my WSM this Friday night along with a couple of pork collars I also bought (got a gathering on Sat). Excited and nervous, hope it comes out ok.
sleepybones
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby BraaiMeesterWannabe » 14 Jun 2016, 14:25

Good luck, sounds like a good party
BraaiMeesterWannabe
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby Pompey Dinlo » 14 Jun 2016, 14:45

sleepybones wrote:Did you order online or face to face?

I went to Smithfields for the first time last Friday morning and picked up a USDA Choice Packer from their shop (my first ever proper one). Was 7.5kg and cost me about £55 but, according to the guys there the price is a little higher than usual due to the increased demand presently from 'Grillstock' competitors etc..

I always buy online, not worth the cost in petrol to drive to London when they will deliver for free.

It looks like the price in the market is cheaper than online although I've just noticed that a 6kg USDA brisket on their website has gone from £63 yesterday to £74 today!
Pompey Dinlo
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby essexsmoker » 15 Jun 2016, 09:40

I have a USDA one in the freezer for the same comparison. Got a John Dee Aussie one and wasn't that impressed.

USDA one has fat cap and looks more marbled. Hoping for better results.
essexsmoker
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby sleepybones » 15 Jun 2016, 11:59

BraaiMeesterWannabe wrote:Good luck, sounds like a good party

Cheers mate, fingers crossed it will go OK. I'm using all 5 of my Webers for various different things so it will be a test of my organisational skills lol
sleepybones
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby sleepybones » 15 Jun 2016, 12:02

Pompey Dinlo wrote:

I went to Smithfields for the first time last Friday morning and picked up a USDA Choice Packer from their shop (my first ever proper one). Was 7.5kg and cost me about £55 but, according to the guys there the price is a little higher than usual due to the increased demand presently from 'Grillstock' competitors etc..

I always buy online, not worth the cost in petrol to drive to London when they will deliver for free.

It looks like the price in the market is cheaper than online although I've just noticed that a 6kg USDA brisket on their website has gone from £63 yesterday to £74 today!

Yeah it's an expensive mistake if it goes wrong lol. I'm Chelmsford area and I have a pal in Dagenham who goes occasionally so I just made my way to his then hitched a ride into the city. Amazed how busy it is there, a real buzz. Definitely worth a visit if you're ever that way.
sleepybones
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby GingerBen » 16 Jun 2016, 10:26

Pompey Dinlo wrote:

Some stuff is half price in person so if you aren't too far away it's definitely worth the petrol money to stock up the freezer. Paid £5/kg for USDA brisket when I went a couple of months ago
GingerBen
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby essexsmoker » 16 Jun 2016, 10:37

I really want to go. But the thought of the silly early morning... :shock:
essexsmoker
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby sleepybones » 20 Jun 2016, 13:53

By way of an update, the brisket came out ace and my pork collars were my best effort to date. Really pleased.

I served the flat (which all got eaten) and have wrapped the cooked point and placed in my freezer for another day :)

Import briskets are fab
sleepybones
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Next

Return to Low 'n' Slow (Smoking)