New Weber briquettes review

A place to discuss low 'n' slow cooking, ask questions and share advice.

New Weber briquettes review

Postby Kevin0410 » 25 Jul 2016, 04:23

New Weber briquettes - review.
I used these over the weekend with a 57cm Weber kettle to cook a 6.5kg bone-in pork shoulder.

I used the snake method - two rows with another row on top- and ran them most of the way round the edge, just leaving a gap of about 15 cm between the ends.

At about 9pm I used a blowtorch to light one end of the snake which took about 5 minutes. With both top and bottom vents set at half, it took about 20 minutes to reach my target temperature of 110C at which point I closed the vents a little.

From then on the temperature held pretty steady and responded well to minor vent adjustment when needed.

Throughout the cook the briquettes didn't need any intervention and burned for 17 hours, by which time the pork was done.

The briquettes burned cleanly and at the end there was nothing left on the grate at all - every briquette had burned through completely!

Love these Weber briquettes and can't wait for my next cook with them!
Kevin0410
Still Raw Inside
Still Raw Inside

Re: New Weber briquettes review

Postby essexsmoker » 25 Jul 2016, 12:54

Sounds like a good cook.

Most people don't seem to rate the new ones.
essexsmoker
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby Mj2k » 25 Jul 2016, 19:06

Interesting, I much prefer the old ones, seem to burn more cleanly & less ash

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Mj2k
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby mattsday » 08 Aug 2016, 16:00

I picked up the new ones half price in John Lewis yesterday (£5 for a 8kg bag seemed like a bargain - all because it had a tiny hole in the bottom!).

I tried doing some pulled pork with them - 8 hour cook with a smokenator. They lasted about 6 hours before dying out which I thought was "OK". Not the best coals I've used, but for the price I paid a bargain! I might have to sneak around JL putting small nicks in some other bags... :)
mattsday
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Return to Low 'n' Slow (Smoking)