Big Bank Hol cook coming up!

A place to discuss low 'n' slow cooking, ask questions and share advice.

Big Bank Hol cook coming up!

Postby such » 09 Aug 2016, 12:42

Got a big party of around 30-40 guests for Aug bank holiday.

Looking at a trip to smithfields to buy the meat (possibly Hixsons) 5+ kg of british beef Shortribs, babyback pork ribs, usual chicken drumsticks and "kebab shop style" large chicken skewers, a few butterflied lamb legs, a smoked side of salmon, finishing up with some bbq pineapple rings and ice cream.

I have not done beef ribs before on the weber, have done in the oven, but results have varied. Main complaints were: "TOO fatty / chewy etc.

Can anyone suggest a rub for the beef ribs, and best way to cook ie temps, foiled, injected etc and any prep to the slab beforehand?
I'm gonna cheat with the pork ribs, and boil the night before, then sling on for 45mins, purely due to lack of available cooking space!

I will be using 2 webers, 47 and 57 kettles, and a kingsford rectangular charcoal bbq (from costco around 8yrs ago!)
I also have a maverick and other temp probes!

Thanks
such
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Re: Big Bank Hol cook coming up!

Postby mattsday » 09 Aug 2016, 14:36

I've cooked beef short ribs a few times - bear in mind they can take a looooooong time on the BBQ (I've had one cook take 10 hours - guests were clutching their bellies in starvation for the last hour or so).

In any case, I've followed the Amazing Ribs guide here (the 'big bad beef rub' is excellent!):
http://amazingribs.com/recipes/beef/BBQ_beef_ribs.html

Trim the fat as much as possible, that's what will make them chewy. The cut has plenty of good stuff inside so you won't be improving it by having any fat on top (best case it'll just melt off and take some rub with it, worst case it stays on and will be chewy and unpleasant - yuck!)

Good luck!
mattsday
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby such » 09 Aug 2016, 21:04

Thanks for that, I've just had a read, very interesting.

I may consider doing something else less time consuming, as I would like to enjoy the day too!!
such
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby such » 25 Aug 2016, 07:25

Right, popped down to Smithfields market yesterday and picked up all the meat. I had a brief panic attack when I realised just how much i have got to cook, but my blood pressure has returned to normal now, for now!

Anyway, the menu looks like this:

Pork belly Ribs, around 8 large racks, with a homemade BBQ sauce,
Beef short ribs - around 8 racks - not quite sure yet!!
Chicken drumsticks, around 10kg in a spicy marinade
Chicken thigh meat on a 6 giant skewers, spicy marinade, sliced off the skewers
Monkfish - 4kg Tandoori style - relatively easy to do

The problem I have is cooking space - 2 webers 57 & 47 and a kingsford charcoal rectangular bbq - cannot control temp on this as not airtight.

Due to the quantity of ribs to cook, I am planning to simmer the pork ribs in apple juice tomorrow and then cook on the big weber or Kingsford using rib racks on Saturday in advance and keeping warm.

With the beef ribs, not quite sure. I have not done ribs straight on BBQ before, and due to the amount, unable to fit them all on the 2 webers.
I was thinking of simmering for a few hours then on BBQ and keep warm.
I have a few questions re this:
Will they lose all the beefy goodness flavour being boiled first
Is it best to boil in beef stock
Do i rub before boiling and leave overnight or rub after boiling before BBq
Are they best put on a rib rack and bbq or layed flat and turned ???????

Have I missed something obvious in my blind panic??

Will be prepping the meat later tonight

Thanks
such
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby Lord Grim » 25 Aug 2016, 10:21

Not sure if I should post the link on here, but Tom Kerridge has a cracking recipe for Beef Short Ribs that need never touch a grill (of course if you want to, you can finish them on the Kingsman).
It's basically a short rib stew, with the most amazing BBQ sauce I've ever tasted (I've used this recipe several times).

http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/beef_bbq_ribs_24916

I think the use of a barbecue in the recipe is a bit of a con, a way to call the dish "barbecue", but they do taste great.
Obviously this is cheating a bit as far as your Bank Holiday cook goes, but it will take the pressure off both you and your BBQs
Lord Grim
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby such » 25 Aug 2016, 10:32

Thanks for that, I'll have a look at trying to arrange as many beef ribs on both kettles later and see if I can perhaps cook later tomorrow and then reheat on Satuday with the sauce.

Not sure if the ribs will dry out or become tough if reheated?

That recipe looks good just need a couple of suitable dishes to accommodate all the ribs in the oven if I go this route.

Thanks for the suggestion
such
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby such » 25 Aug 2016, 10:40

Also, not done beef ribs on Bbq before so a bit worried that they may not turn out that good, I'e too chewy?

Any tips to avoid this, beyond temp control would be very useful.
Also. If I pile a set of briquettes to one side of the kettles, how do I prevent the ribs nearest from burning / drying out?

I may be able to accommodate 5 racks on the big Weber, my concern is 1 rack would be furthest away from the heat. Would I need to rearrange them at some point?

Thanks
such
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby such » 25 Aug 2016, 12:55

well, can fit 3 beef rib racks on the 57 and 2 on the 47, so I only have 5. I perhaps need to chop them in half so they go a bit further......
such
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Return to Low 'n' Slow (Smoking)