Beef Ribs

A place to discuss low 'n' slow cooking, ask questions and share advice.

Beef Ribs

Postby sleepybones » 11 Aug 2016, 21:52

Received my T&G delivery today, 3 x 2kg packs of short ribs (ordered plenty to get free postage). Have stuck 2 packs in the freezer and one in the fridge which I plan to do on the WSM this Sunday.

This will be my first attempt at short ribs. Am planning to do them low and slow in the WSM. I'm assuming that I need to take these up to somewhere around 195-203f much in the same way as I would a brisket or a pork butt?

Is my theory correct guys? If so, is there any estimate as to how long my cook will be?

In case it helps they've been cut across the bones (flanken cut I believe it's called) and a 2kg pack has 2 x 4-bone slabs in it (hopefully gives a sense of size.

All help greatly appreciated.
sleepybones
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Re: Beef Ribs

Postby Lord Grim » 12 Aug 2016, 07:53

I've never done them on the BBQ, but just to give you some reference, the last lot I did in the oven (using Tom Kerridges recipe) had a total time of 7 hours cook at 130c and the leftovers are going into a Feijoada tomorrow and will get another 2.5 to 3 hours in there.
The meat is currently the texture of corned beef (proper corned beef, not princes!) and after a good stewing I'm expecting the last of the connective tissue to give up and to end with a nice meaty gravy filled with meat fibres.

Do make a point of trimming off any big lumps of exterior fat, because it's murder to render it down and it has no value to the cook when it does anyway.
Lord Grim
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby Lord Grim » 12 Aug 2016, 09:03

Have a look at this thread too....
viewtopic.php?f=18&t=8315
Lord Grim
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby sleepybones » 12 Aug 2016, 09:12

OK, good to know thanks, so I'm potentially looking at quite a long cook then.

I think I will trim up and start a salt brine Sat morning then, late on Sat night, stick a maverick probe in them and kick them off, take them to 160f, wrap in brown paper, carry on to 195f, then triple foil and hold in the oven on lowest setting ahead of time.

How does that sound?
sleepybones
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Return to Low 'n' Slow (Smoking)