How to make pulled pork in a ProQ Fronteir?

A place to discuss low 'n' slow cooking, ask questions and share advice.

How to make pulled pork in a ProQ Fronteir?

Postby Smokin Kippers » 16 Aug 2016, 16:55

Hi! New user, long time BBQer

I've had my ProQ Frontier for about 4 years now and I've had some amazing BBQ's from it but I've never been able to master pulled pork! Every time I've tried making it I've just gotten roast pork and never the tender, stringy consistency :cry:

I always get setup around 12-1 and use the minion method (A circle of unlit coals in the smoker and then lit ones from a chimney starter in the middle) which usually gets me a consistent 200-250°F for about 4-5 hours. Normally I cook a range of stuff so that we end up with a proper smokehouse platter (burgers, sausages, ribs, chicken, brisket etc) and I'm getting pretty good at getting everything ready at the same time. I just bung everything in at different intervals while we drink/watch a couple of films and a few hours later everything's perfect, except for the pork which is cooked through but can't be pulled at all. I end up just having to carve it up into slices.

What exactly do I need to be doing to get this right? I'm doing a BBQ this coming bank holiday Monday so I'd like to have a practice before then. I usually just use a 2kg shoulder joint from Aldi or Asda which I didn't think needed the 12-18 hours cooking time I've been reading about (I thought 4-5 hours would have been enough?). I make up a dry rub for it, give it a good rub and I've even tried searing the pork before smoking it (which I've been told will help?). As I said above I get the smoker ready and start cooking about 12-1 with an aim to be eating around 6-7. I'll keep an eye on the temperature and open/close the bottom vents as needed. I'll also chuck in some more lit coals in the last couple of hours.

Any advise would be greatly appreciated
Smokin Kippers
Still Raw Inside
Still Raw Inside

Re: How to make pulled pork in a ProQ Fronteir?

Postby essexsmoker » 17 Aug 2016, 12:31

It's done when it's done really. Do you foil? If not that would help speed things up.
I assume you have a digital thermo and take it to about 195 or 200f?

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
essexsmoker
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby Smokin Kippers » 17 Aug 2016, 12:55

I don't use digital thermometers no, I just have a standard analogue probe that came with the smoker and I don't use foil either.

I'm thinking of starting earlier, maybe about 9 and giving it a good 10 hours or more. My main concern though is keeping the heat consistent for that time so I can cook everything else later in the day, as I said it's usually burning out after about 5 hours
Smokin Kippers
Still Raw Inside
Still Raw Inside

Postby GingerBen » 17 Aug 2016, 13:15

Pulled pork (assuming cooking at around 225f) takes ages in my experience. The overall weight of the meat is a factor but the thickness is the key from what I can tell. to pull it apart the internal temp needs to be in the 200f range. Do you check internal temp along the way? It sounds like you just aren't cooking it for long enough to be honest. Pulled pork is pretty forgiving too so it's pretty hard to overcook and it can be left to rest for hours wrapped in foil and a towel if needs be.
GingerBen
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby Smokin Kippers » 17 Aug 2016, 15:45

I don't have a digital thermometer no, just the basic analogue one that comes with the smoker. I was going to invest in one though, any recommendations? I don't use foil either.

Does searing the shoulder first help or am I better to just rub it then chuck it in the middle of the smoker?
Smokin Kippers
Still Raw Inside
Still Raw Inside

Postby myfault » 19 Aug 2016, 09:25

I have done many pork shoulders in the frontier, and all have been fine. For the length of time that you want, the only way to get it to the right temp is to foil for 2 hours. this always takes me through the stall and gets the meat temp up to 205F.
myfault
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby essexsmoker » 19 Aug 2016, 09:28

Searing will help develop flavour but other than that it won't speed up cooking.

The analogue thermos with the units are normally terrible and can be up to 50f out. So what you think you are cooking at might be a fair bit lower.

With such a small joint I would foil to help moisture and speed cooking.

You really need to invest in a maverick et732 or such like. They aren't expensive.

As Ginger said, it's the thickness, not the weight that counts.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
essexsmoker
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby Smokin Kippers » 19 Aug 2016, 13:39

Ok I'll order a maverick thermometer. I'll go for the 733 model though, after reading some reviews it sounds like the 732 version doesn't last very last before breaking.

I'll try wrapping it in foil as well, is that for the first two hours or the last two hours? Surly if it's wrapped for the whole duration it defeats the idea of smoking it?

I appreciate that it's done when it's done but roughly how long would you expect a 2kg shoulder to take at 200degress F? Just need to know when I need to start it so I can get everything else ready for the same time. From my previous experiences it would seem 6+ hours would be enough
Smokin Kippers
Still Raw Inside
Still Raw Inside

Postby Tiny » 19 Aug 2016, 18:46

Right chum, welcome, allow me to offer some advice.......

2kg absolute min 5 hours
Skin it
rub it
Chuck it on the smoker c250, give it a few hours
Internal temp circa 160 wrap it in foil with apple juice, sugar and a knob of butter.
Back on the smoker or off to the oven, makes no difference imho, you have the smoke on there so up to you.
Patience friend patience chum
wwait till its 200f and then relax, it will pull, wrap it in towels and and keep it in a cool box and give it an hour or two, will do no harm.

What it sounds like is you haven't gone long and far enough.
Hope this helps friend.
Tiny
Tiny
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby Smokin Kippers » 20 Aug 2016, 12:20

Brilliant, thanks for the advice!
I'm going to give it a go tomorrow so I'll you you know how it goes
Smokin Kippers
Still Raw Inside
Still Raw Inside

Next

Return to Low 'n' Slow (Smoking)