How to make pulled pork in a ProQ Fronteir?

A place to discuss low 'n' slow cooking, ask questions and share advice.

Re: How to make pulled pork in a ProQ Fronteir?

Postby Smokin Kippers » 29 Aug 2016, 07:33

Sadly I didn't have time to practice with it the other week so I've had to go live with it today.

I've got a 1.6kg shoulder which I've just removed the skin from and made a rub. As Tiny suggested I'm going to smoke it at 250 till it gets to 160 then chuck it in the oven until everyone arrives later. I'm hoping to have food ready by 3-4

It's currently half 8, if I throw it in the smoker for about 2 hours to get it to 160 what temp should I set the oven to?

If I start now it should be ready to pull long before anyone arrives at 3 right?

(Hopefully that gives enough time for a response haha)
Smokin Kippers
Still Raw Inside
Still Raw Inside

Postby BraaiMeesterWannabe » 29 Aug 2016, 09:31

The magic number for great pulled pork is 203f IMO. It can take a long while to get there, especially if you don't crutch.
BraaiMeesterWannabe
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby Tiny » 29 Aug 2016, 11:09

What he said but I would always wrap mine and set the oven to 110deg C
Good luck let us know how you get on
Tiny
Tiny
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby Smokin Kippers » 29 Aug 2016, 13:12

I gave it two hours on the smoker then chucked it in the oven at 140. Just had a look at it and seems to be pulling! About another hour should be enough!
Smokin Kippers
Still Raw Inside
Still Raw Inside

Postby BraaiMeesterWannabe » 29 Aug 2016, 14:10

Smokin Kippers wrote:I gave it two hours on the smoker then chucked it in the oven at 140. Just had a look at it and seems to be pulling! About another hour should be enough!

Check internal temp. If it's 203f you're ready. If too early to eat wrap in foil and a couple of towels and place in a good cooler box. It will stay hot in that for 2 to 4 hours but won't carry on cooking and dry out.
BraaiMeesterWannabe
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby Smokin Kippers » 30 Aug 2016, 16:48

Thanks for the advice, I finally got it right and it went down a storm! Some of it was a little tough to pull apart, I really had to attack it with the forks so I guess it maybe needed another hour? After about 10 minutes though I had a tray full of stringy pulled pork!

Just to recap I started the smoker around half 9, skinned the pork, rubbed it and chucked it on for 2 hours at 10. By 12 it had reached 140 internal, I set my fan oven to 150, poured a cup of water (I didn't have any apple juice) into a roasting tin with a wire rack, covered the whole thing in foil and cooked for a further 4 hours (so 6 hours total). I promised everyone food would be ready by 4 so I took a gamble on it and stuck the fork in, it pulled straight away!!
Smokin Kippers
Still Raw Inside
Still Raw Inside

Postby BraaiMeesterWannabe » 30 Aug 2016, 17:20

Sounds awesome. Kudos
BraaiMeesterWannabe
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Previous

Return to Low 'n' Slow (Smoking)