The last cook of the summer?

A place to discuss low 'n' slow cooking, ask questions and share advice.

The last cook of the summer?

Postby Lord Grim » 23 Aug 2016, 19:30

As the evenings draw in, my thoughts are turning to my cold smoking shed and the sausages and hams I can do over the winter.
But, before what could (but probably won't ) be my last outdoor cook of the summer, I'd like to ask all of our illustrious members what their choice would be for a final cook?
It doesn't have to be the biggest hunk of Ox (it'll probably just be me, the long suffering wife and our baby daughter, who due to a lack of teeth isn't eating much meat) or the most technically difficult bit of BBQ ever, it just has to taste amazing!

No meat is taboo, no rub too flavoursome and no mop too off the wall (although chocolate and orange can do one!)

What do you have for me?
Lord Grim
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Re: The last cook of the summer?

Postby scuba-doo » 24 Aug 2016, 07:20

I'm lucky enough to have a shelter so there wont be a last cook but if there was it would be a simple leg of lamb :)
scuba-doo
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby Lord Grim » 24 Aug 2016, 08:24

Cheers :)
It's not so much about the weather itself, as I'll be tending to the smoke shed just as much as I would the BBQ, it's more about different opportunities to prepare different food.
I started off outdoor "cooking" with cold smoking and I'll always enjoy it. On a clear winters day, there's almost as much enjoyment to be had from sitting outside by the smoker with something warming and a nice fire going as there is with a cold G and T with your feet in the paddling pool in the summer.
Lord Grim
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby GingerBen » 26 Aug 2016, 08:48

do a nice little porchetta stuffed with sausage meat and herbs
GingerBen
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby Lord Grim » 26 Aug 2016, 10:28

And with our second suggestion, we may have a winner!

I have a fantastic recipe for low and slow porchetta that could easily transfer to the BBQ :)
Lord Grim
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby Jediboy » 26 Aug 2016, 15:54

I tend to bbq all year round too but my last of the summer would probably be beer can burger, Cajun chicken and some smoked beef ribs.
Jediboy
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby Lord Grim » 29 Aug 2016, 22:05

Just as a bit of closure for anyone that cares, I went with Beercan Burgers and Beercan Chicken (shame to waste the beer!).
As it turns out, I didn't get a lot of time this weekend, it's the mother in law's 65th tomorrow and muggins had to make a birthday cake and cupcakes for 18.
I will be making Beercan burgers again though, those bad boys are brutal!
I changed the recipe up a bit to give them a tex mex feel and then brushed the bacon with Baby Ray's Honey BBQ when I added the cheese.
Lord Grim
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby Tiny » 30 Aug 2016, 17:46

Glad it turned out well, the title of your post almost moved me to tears, the summer seems to have sneaked by this year without me noticing. I have managed 2-3 cooks a week but mostly small stuff.

You have motivated me to try and ignore the passing of time and keep the spirit of summer alive, typing sat in the sun roasting a whole chicken on the GMG.....at my local Rugby club there is a saying "its always Summer when you are in the veterans" so I think I shall apply this to myself switching Veterens for GMG owner....cook on!
Cheers
Tiny
Tiny
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby Lord Grim » 31 Aug 2016, 06:53

A sad day indeed, brightened only by the knowledge that soon it'll be cool enough to fill my freezer with kippers and haddock, my fridge with bacon and cheese and salmon and my larder with nuts, paprika, salt, garlic and anything else that'll hold a bit of woodsmoke.

But! I'm happy in the knowledge that the way this weather is going, there may be couple more cooks in the sun yet, that Xmas turkey needs cooking somehow and then it's only a couple of short months until the weather warms up again :)

Besides, this'll give me the time to get the garden looking pretty and to get the veg patch that I keep promising myself going.....
Lord Grim
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Return to Low 'n' Slow (Smoking)