URGENT advice required - pork belly ribs piece

A place to discuss low 'n' slow cooking, ask questions and share advice.

URGENT advice required - pork belly ribs piece

Postby ScottishSmoker » 15 Sep 2016, 20:24

Hi all,

Im in need of your help!

I really fancied some pork spare ribs this weekend so contacted my butcher and asked for them. He can only get me pork belly ribs tomorrow instead of the usual (thinner?) spare ribs. I said yeh go ahead. he then asked if i wanted them single or as piece and i said as piece. so it's a 2 kg piece, for 13 quid. Im fine with that, will be for 4 persons and doing sausages too, so maybe i'll have some leftovers :D

But.... when I searched online I could not really find smoking recipes for a whole piece pork belly ribs all are for spare ribs??

Help please! How would you advice to smoke this? What internal temp? Just the 195 degrees internal on 225-250 smoking temp?

I will use the UDS, thinking to rub it with bbq rub first, and baste with bourbon-coke-bbq baste a couple times near the end. hickory or apple smoke?

Or would you do it totally different?

cheers,
Bjorn
ScottishSmoker
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Re: URGENT advice required - pork belly ribs piece

Postby Tiny » 16 Sep 2016, 10:38

I am no expert but I would
Skin it, then make crackling with the skin in the ovenRub it up
I would cook slightly hotter 250-270 , I find I don't get enough fat rendering for my taste at the lower temp
I like hickory best with pork, but apple is also good so don't think you can lose, use both :)
2 hours in the smoke, 1.5 hours wrapped with apple juice, brown sugar, and a touch of cider vinegar
Unwrapped and pokey tested till tender, have never cooked ribs to temp
Gloop on thick BBQ sauce / glaze for the last half hour

wet wipes on standby :)

Think they are quite forgiving so go for it however you like
Cheers
Tiny
Tiny
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby GingerBen » 19 Sep 2016, 08:41

Spare ribs are cut from the belly so not quite sure what he means but presumably you got a slab of pork belly with the ribs still on? If so as Tiny said skin it and smoke it until they feel tender.
GingerBen
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby ScottishSmoker » 21 Sep 2016, 19:46

cheers guys. When I picked up the piece i asked my butcher and indeed its pork belly with ribs still on.
BBQ rubbed, smoked on apple and cherry wood, for about 5 hrs on 250 - 275 degrees. last 40 mins mopped with apple cider vinegar, apple juice and bbq sauce mixture. Internal temp was 182 degrees. I went for a bit higher internal temp but it was dinner time so decided to take it off anyway.

Result was pretty good, came off the bone pretty clean and most parts were mouthwatering with the odd chewier part (only 1 strip of meat along the ribs somehow was a bit chewier.) Had nice colour before mopping but no crunchy bark, after mopping it coloured a bit too dark, think i burnt the mopping sauce a wee bit. Taste still very good though!

Next time i'll just go for a pork belly though, less faffing about trying to cut between the ribs and eat around the small lining bones that were still in now. I will also take it to 190 or 195 internal next time.

cheers,
Bjorn
ScottishSmoker
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby essexsmoker » 29 Sep 2016, 12:42

It's a slightly confusing post to be honest.

How many ribs did you have in the rack? If it was 10 or so then that sounds like a fairly full rack. Sounds to me like he was just trying to boost sales and give you a bone in pork belly. He just had to cut the rib rack off the bottom for you.
Try Makro bone in pork belly, only about 3.95 a kilo I think.

Unless I'm missing something?

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
essexsmoker
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Return to Low 'n' Slow (Smoking)