First brisket

A place to discuss low 'n' slow cooking, ask questions and share advice.

First brisket

Postby Eamonn1963 » 08 May 2011, 08:41

I cooked a brisket on my new lil tex yesterday what a failure very tough and no flavour HELP also did a rack of pork ribs and wow they were stunning wat did I do wrong with brisket ?
Eamonn1963
Still Raw Inside
Still Raw Inside

Re: First brisket

Postby Swindon_Ed » 08 May 2011, 09:02

Tell us a bit more about what you did with your brisket, was it a whole brisket or a part? What rub did you use? What temp did you cook it at? What was the internal temp of the brisket before you took it off and did you let the meat rest before you served?

If you can answer some of these we should be able to give some advise.
Swindon_Ed

Postby Vic. » 08 May 2011, 19:17

was looking at my triple D archives and found a series where http://www.drbbq.com/ had an appearance. The brisket was slow cooked for 10 hours, then the point was took off, more rub applied to the point and it was cooked for a further 4 hrs and covered in the juice drippings......both pieces of the brisket looked to be really tender.
Vic.
Twisted Firestarter
Twisted Firestarter

Postby All Weather Griller » 08 May 2011, 20:12

Yep need the answers to Ed's questions first.
All Weather Griller

Postby Mike_P_in_Tucson » 08 May 2011, 20:31

Just off the top of my head, I would say you just didn't cook it long enough. Perhaps also cooked at too high a temperature.

You need to cook it to an internal temperature of about 195, then take it off, wrap it in foil and newspapers or towels and let it sit for at least an hour or two.

A lot of people inject their briskets. I usually don't and don't notice it being drier than an injected one. As for rubs, they are all over the board, from just S&P to slathering with mustard, butter, or oil then applying a multi-ingredient rub. I usually do a mustard slather, then just my basic rub -- sugar, paprika, salt, pepper, onion powder, garlic powder, and chili powder.
Mike_P_in_Tucson

Return to Low 'n' Slow (Smoking)